Scope not straight with barrel?

So I am totally new to rifles and scopes, I know next to nothing besides what I am teaching myself and learning as I go from books and the internet, I have a Marlin 60 .22 with a ****ty Tasco 3-7x20 I got for 15 bucks, now everytime I install the scope(and yes I have youtubed it and what not) it seems to pull a little to the right and is NOT lined up with the barrel of the rifle, it is off by about 2-3 centimeters and in turn I cannot zero the rifle because the adjustment that controls the reticle left to right only goes so far and I cannot adjust it any further to zero it.

If it matter the scope has two screws that tighten the mounts onto the rail system on my marlin 60 and the screws are on the same side the scope is pulling to, BUT even before I tighten the screws the scope pulls that way just a little, but the actual rail mount on the gun is straight and lined up with the barrel totally.

Right now I do not know what to do, I tinkered with it for about 2 hours and the same issue. I am either going to return the scope and use the iron sights from now on or maybe invest in a red dot sight or something? But ANY help is greatly appreciated and I like the look and magnification of a scope. Thank you!

You can try reversing your rings and see if that makes a difference, otherwise it might be trading that scope in for a different model or changing the rings.

Put metal shims under the fixed side of the 1 mount before tighting it. Aluminum cans are about .004" thick. But steel is much better as it does not compress as much. Try the rings in different positions if they are removable from the scope. Side to side, 1 or both or front to rear.

everymanalion said:
... everytime I install the scope(and yes I have youtubed it and what not) it seems to pull a little to the right and is NOT lined up with the barrel of the rifle, it is off by about 2-3 centimeters ...
I hope that's a typo. 2 to 3 cm is 3/4 of an inch (.79") to almost an inch and a quarter (1.18").

2.5 cm is an inch. 3 cm is 1 3/16". Not 3/4".
You absolutely sure you have the 'rail' of the mount in the grooves on the rifle?

As already suggested, turning the rings around and/or swapping them front to back might help.
If that scope has a 3/4" diameter tube, you'd need 3/4" replacement rings.
If you can return the scope, that might be the way to go.
Simmons and Bushnell used to make decent 22 scopes for around $50. Don't know if they still do.
Weaver and Nikon make nice rimfire scopes for a little over $100.

Can you post pictures showing details of the scope on the rifle?

I think this is an easy fix, but I need some details.

I wonder if the bottom of the rings is just to thick causing the problem.

I would probably buy a better scope and rings to solve the problem. Doesn't have to be expensive but for $30 you can buy a bushnell scope ready to go.

Maybe a no brainer question but, Rings on first and then the scope right??
Cant foresee anything with the scope itself making it pull off line with the barrel unless it has visible damage.. I'm guessing you meant mm's not cm's.

I just saw some of these scopes at walmart and I could of swore they were only for bb/pellet guns in the past.

The scope rings don't impress me.

tasco_rimfire_3_7x20_scope_6584.jpg

Are you bolting it to the v grove in the rifle or another attachment?

Hey guys sorry was at work all day, yes that was a typo, here are some pics, not great quality my camera sucks sorry! As you can see on the pic that goes down the barrel, it is over a little compared to the barrel/iron sights.

Attachments

• dsfsdfsd.jpg
    dsfsdfsd.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 327
  • fsfsfsd.jpg
    fsfsfsd.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 281
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 277
I think I figured it out, I moved the scope rings up a little on the front and back a little on the back one and it straightend it out so thank you to everybody!

i bought a rifle that was not drilled and tapped straight with the barrel for a good price. i put a redfield scope base with the windage adjustments and sighted it in at 200 yds and now the rifle is back hunting. eastbank.

Back