Scope mounts.

Isa

Inactive
Hey guys quick question, I'm mounting my a scope on my rifle. It's a .22 marlin 918t, my scope is 1" 3x9 40mm. The mounts I got are see thru so i can use the actual rifle sights themselves still.

My worry is, my objective lens has a clearance of about half an inch from the barrel. I know you want it to be as close the barrel as possible, should I be looking to get another set of mounts or will this setup work accurately for 50-100 yards shooting?

With a high mounted scope if you sight in at say 50 yards (where I like to sight in my 22's) it will shoot low at closer distances. I do like a scope that is close to the barrel but that eliminates the open sights.

If all your shots are at 50 to 100 yards and maybe even beyound then what you have may work very well. At 50 yards the bullet even from a 22lr will still be rising at least a little bit from a high mount.

This Wiki article may help you understand at least some of what you are dealing with.
< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_rule >

Hope this helps.
James

Last edited:
I'm going to return it and get a lower one.. it's uncomfortable and i'm worried about parallax anyways.

With a properly mounted scope you'll likely find you will never want to use the iron sights at all, and it will be easier to counteract any parallax issues when you can get a good consistant cheek weld rather than having to raise your eye so high.

Unless your scope was designed for a 22, the parallax adjustment is probably set at 100 yds

Not having had a problem with a scope in over sixty years, I've never seen any need for see-through mounts. Seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem. :)

solution v. problem

Yeah, I'll second that. My Dad always bought the high see thru numbers, and they were awkward as all get out.

I've only been buying scopes about 40 years, but have a drawer full of 1980-90 model Bushnell and Tasco's that are junk and busted.

Switching to Leupolds and Burris's fixed all that.

Mount'em low and solid, on good glass, and shoot.

Back