Scope mounting question.

Prothe2nd

I am annoyed right now, and need some advice. I have a .22 I'm trying to mount a scope on, but I can't get the scope on it for the life of me. The gun came with regular dove tail mounts already on it(I bought it used), and every scope I buy has rings that are just an eighth of an inch too small. I guess whoever put the mounts on it intended it for a scope two times bigger then the gun. I've bought three different scopes so far, and can't get one to fit. And I can't afford no $300 dollar scope or anything to put on this gun. All the scopes I've bought have been in the $30 range, and I can't afford to go higher.

It sounds like you have a rifle with Weaver bases, and you're buying scopes that come with 22 rings included. If that's it, just get a pair of regular Weaver-style rings and use them instead of the included rings. Leupold Rifleman rings are cheap and good, better than anything that comes with a cheap scope. 1" rings go with a 1" diameter scope tube.

There are 7/8" scopes for .22s and 1" scopes for 22s. You need to use the correct rings for the scope diameter and then put the rings on the correct bases. Obviously you're not matching them up correctly. I think you have a rifle that someone put bases on for a 1" scope and you're trying to mount a 7/8" rimfire scope on the gun. What diameter is the scope tube?

terms

I think we have a problem here with terms and definitions. Most .22 rifles come standard with a "dovetail" goove (actually a pair) in the receiver. The dovetail is intended to take
" dovetail rings" which come in a variety of sizes, based on the diameter of the scope "tube" for which they are intended. One inch tubes are pretty standard these days for a scope intended for a .22, and most dovetail rings are thus 1" in diameter. . There are indeed 7/8" scopes, and 7/8" rings, that fit dovetails, but they are not all that common anymore.

At the risk of sounding lame, we are loosening the clamps when attempting to attach the rings, right?

The 7/8" tube scope and rings to fit the grooved receiver of a .22 were standard for generations. 30+ years ago, mounting the standard 1" tube (centerfire) scope meant finding 1" rings that fit the "7/8" size mount, which is what I did back then.

Today, 1" scopes are cheaper and more common, and their optic advantages have made the 7/8 scopes less common but I think the old dovetail size grooves have been retained on many guns.

Back