Scope & mount SAR FN FAL .308, advice

DDS

I would like to ask for opinions on a good all purpose scope and mount for the SAR FN FAL.Cost is not an issue, just the best mount available w/out modifications and a quality scope.The primary purpose wil be for casual shooting and home defense in the extreme.

Thanks!

Dave

From what I recall in my reading of Blake Steven's book, The FN FAL, FN attempted to scope their rifle and used the receiver cover as the base. Unfortunately, it tended to shift and could not hold its zero. Eventually, FN gave up on attempting to make their rifle into a sniper weapon.

Several American firms have picked up the effort when FN has left off. While they still use the receiver cover as the base, it has been made thicker and heavier. One firm has introduced screws which help to clamp down on the side of the receiver to prevent shifting. How effective these measures are is unknown to me. A better method would be to have a mount attached to the receiver. I'm not aware if anyone made any endeavors towards this though.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited August 23, 1999).]

Supposedly DSA makes the best of thedust cover mounts. They make it with the thickest stampings of all on the market at present. I'm corresponding with someone now who is attempting to make a receiver mount. They are still in the planning stages.

I have a DSA FN FAL and a DSA Para. Both aare excellent, and hold zero well. The FAL is NOT a sniper weapon; expect 1.5" with a well mounted quality scope and a DSA cover.

Both covers are VERY tight in the upper, requiring some force to slip off. NO ZERO SHIFT that I can tell. I have a Trilux on dustcover also, and frequently use a BSA 45mm red-dot on the DSA para cover. NO PROBLEMS!

------------------
Train Like You Fight: Second Place is Not an Option.

have the DSA scope mount(which is a sud afrikana copy) mounted a nikon 6.5x40 (had to use burris hirise mounts for clearance) once it is on it ain't coming off. hold's zero well.

Greetings Fal308 !
I don't know did U refer to me about the receiver mount on the L1A1, but it is in place and holds zero OK after several hundreds of Nato milispec. surplus rounds.

Should I lend me mates digi camera and take some pics + mail them to here or straight to you ?

Gattling

Go ahead and post here as I would imagine others would like to see this also. I'm real interested to see how it turned out. Has the Dural stretched or warped at all or have you fired it enough to find out yet?
I just mounted an Israeli buttstock on one of mine and an getting ready to cut down the barrel to somewhere between 16 1/2" to 18" or maybe about 14" 1/2 and then permanently mount a muzzle break on it to keep it legal here in the USA. I believe that you need to keep a minimum of about 14" or so or your gas system will get out of time.

I had an ARMS mount on my SAR 48, and had no complaints or problems with it. I slipped it off every time I cleaned the rifle, and the zero never seemed to shift. It was snug enough to be a good tight fit, without having to resort to a pry bar to get it off.

Okay here they are the pic quality isn't top of the world but one can get the main idea at:
http://lepo.lnet.lut.fi/cam/gattling_aseita-08-99/

The muzzle brake is made out of titanium and has two chambers + one extra vent down and one to the right side to prevent flipdown and side swing (I'm right handed).
The scope mount is of dural and is mounted to the right side of the upper receiver half via hexhead screws.

The .45 is custom jobbie by me myself and I ;) (U know schitzos never work alone ;)
Based on Norinco forged frame and slide it has SAK rearsight, beavertail by me, extended thumb safety of the same make as well as the full length guide rod and the magwell guide attached to the mainspringhousing via 2 screws + the extended magcatch button. Trigger is videcki aluminium thing with overtravel adjustment screw, I installed pretravel adjustment screw above the magcatch (it leans against the trigger bow). Hammer is titanium Nastoff but the hammer strut is made out of titanium plate by me. Pull is 2 3/4 lbs.
All machining scrathces were honed away and both slide and frame glassblasted, frame was magnatephosfated. Slide flats, back and front end + barrel bushing were polished with equipmentry meant to prepare samples for electroneblast microscope. paste used had particle size of 1/1000 m/m. parts were then chromed.

The .45 isn't especially accurate for a custom gun, shooting 42mm@25m (~1,65"@27,3yds) but it feeds with fired unresized cases. This is the gun that I use for ipsc standard class shooting.

Gattling.

Back