scope mount for HK91

skeeter

Does anyone know of a quality scope mount for my HK91 that does not cost $400 like the factory German model? I realy would like a quick release lever throw type. I already have a factory mount but have 2 HK91s. One was bought in 1973 for $297. Then when they started talking about a ban I bought the second one. Both are made in Germany but what is puzzling me is that the factory mount will only fit in one direction on the 1973 model as is indicated on the botton of the mount by an arrow but it will only fit in the other direction on the 1994 model. Anyone know why this is?

I use an All Steel Rifle Mounts scope system on my SR9T. This item hasn't been in production for some time, but they do turn up at gun shows on occasion. It sits much lower on the guns reciever and it usually costs around $150 to $200. It's much better than the ARMS mount, and easily as secure as the HK mounts. Try and find the weaver rail model. Mine is the Warne interface model. It sits a little lower, but is limited to Warne rings only.

Skeeter...

As much as you may have liked to have another original Heckler & Koch factory claw type scope mount, I'm positive that you came to the conclusion that there is no way you'd spend over $400 for one. If you have had the chance to inspect one of them, you'll scratch your head and say, why so much? They are really pretty simple. The mount can only fit in one direction due to a slot that is part of your rear sight where the scope mount fits in tightly.

However, the ARMS mount is in my opinion a better mount than the factory deal for a couple of reasons. One, you can buy a brand spankin new ARMS mount for $225 ( www.mwgco.com ). And two, it allows for a variety of sighting options, unlike the factory mount. The ARMS mounts were also a part of an original package sold by H&K with 91A2's and 93A2's (see your Blue Book to verify). The ARMS mount is identical to the factory claw mount except that instead of 30mm rings, it has a weaver rail. Seriously, you will not be disappointed with it at all!

The weaver rail allows you to mount anything from a night scope to a red dot to a leupold. And you aren't stuck with 30 mm rings!

Both the factory and the ARMS mounts WILL damage your finish no matter what you do to prevent it. Where the claws grab the receiver, you will have an instantaneous removal of finish upon clamping the thing tight. Just an FYI. You may try to lay a small piece of electrical tape down onto the receiver where the mount makes contact, but because of the very close tolerances of the mounts, I still don't think you'll avoid getting the damage.

[This message has been edited by Paul Revere (edited November 29, 1999).]

Skeeter,
Try this: http://www.botachtactical.com/botach/arms1mount.html

I just got the ARMS #1 from them. Very nice quality, fits well, but a lot heavier than it needs to be. A little 7000 series aluminum would do wonders for it. I can confirm it was offered by H&K with their rifles, at one time. Overall it is a keeper.

I have heard bad things about the B-Square mount.

Dave Finfrock,
I would love to see a picture of the All Steel Rifle Mounts scope system, if you can dig one up. Is it similar to the mount on the MSG90 or maybe the PSG1 style single post? I would like to find a lower profile scope mount for a red dot sight.

By the way, what kind of groups do you get out of your SR9T and with what ammo, if you don't mind me asking?

I believe I threw my ARSM catalog out some time ago. To the best of my knowledge, they're out of business. I'll try and post a picture of my rifle if I can find someone with a digital camera. Offhand, I'd say it most resembles the Armson mount with a rail instead of the ACOG groove. It's literall only 1/2" above the receiver. Right now it's back in battle rifle configuration, but it's easy enough to change that. The Aimpoint M works very well on this mount, BTW...

I've had experience with several SR9s and all shot very well. With German military ball, the thing will generally shoot around 1.5" groups at 100yds. Sometimes much better, sometimes worse. This stuff shoots well, but can be a bit inconsistant. With a good handload, say 42.5gr IMR4064 and a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, it will hold right at an inch or a bit better. That's with military cases and Fed BR primers.

Sounds like a nice mount, I will interested to see it.
I have gotten sub 1" out of my 91 with Hornaday match 168 bthp at 100 yards. I don't reload, so when I want accuracy I usually shoot the Hornaday's. I thought the rifle was a pretty good shooter and wanted to confirm it, so thanks for the response.

Back