Scope mount for 10/22

Scratch

What kind of scope mount and scope are recommended for a 10/22. Also where is the best place to buy one.
Thanks
Scratch

I bought my 10/22 new and it came with a mount from Ruger. I topped it with a Simmons 3-9x32 and it serves double duty as plinker and also as a precision squirrel sniping weapon system. I really enjoy my 10/22, and at only $9 per 500 rounds I can afford to shoot ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!

Scratch: When you buy a new 10/22 the scope mount comes with it, if you've lost yours as I did, you can find one here: http://www.brownells.com

Part number is 780-004-222 and it costs $4.96 and they will also send you their catalog.
The adaptor comes with necessary screws. All you need then is a scope and scope rings. I've had good luck with Natchez, they carry Millet rings and all kinds of scopes. Their web site is: http://www.natchezss.com

I use a Tasco 3 x 9 x 50 on Millet rings, works great!
I hope this helps some.

Thanks Guys, I guess that is why it is good to check the rest of the paper work that comes with the gun.
It seems that the scope of choice is a 3-9 power. Isn't this too much scope for this rifle?
Thanks again Scratch

Scratch,
The base is typically in a manilla envelope in the box. If its missing it is a Weaver T-09. Any gun shop should have them for $4-$6. Leupold also makes a nice base for the 10/22 but its cost about $18 and the rings are $25.

As far as scopes, look through as many as you can. What works and looks good for one person may not work for you.

If you're going to get a scope with a large objective (i.e., >40mm) I'd go with the Leupold (or similar) base and rings. They sit higher (allowing the obj bell to clear the barrel) and are closer (and can be adjusted to) the centerline of the bore. the only drawback is that they usually extend past the front of the receiver and hang over the barrel.

What I hate about those dovetail bases that come with the rifle is that most of the rings that attach to that type of base have one side of the claw that clamps onto the base fixed. This usually means that the centerline of the scope will probably be not lined up vertically with the centerline of the bore and it cannot be adjusted to get it there. You'll have to use up some windage adjustment in your scope to compensate.

Now I have the OEM base on my first 10/22 but have a cheapy 3-9X30 on it. My other customized 10/22s have Leupold bases on them with bigger brighter better scopes.

- Ron V.

------------------

Back