Scope for Ruger Model 77/44

dgludwig

A friend of mine (Bob) just purchased a Ruger 77/44 for use in hunting deer in Ohio (we are restricted to rifles chambered in straight-sided cases; ergo the .44 Magnum option). Bob is not especially interested in guns, per se, but is a good hunter. He wants to mount a scope on it and, after discussing his wants/needs, we decided a relatively compact (having an objective side lens the same size as the 1" tube body), good quality (priced no higher than $300.00 and, preferably, much lower) variable scope, with the magnification around 1.5X4. He also would like a scope with a camo finish to go along with his camo-finished Ruger, but a matte finish would be ok.

All suggestions as to brand, where to buy, prices and any other advice is welcome.

Leupold makes a great shotgun scope which is light and great optics. I have been very happy with those.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...gun-scope-1-4x-20mm-turkey-plex-reticle-matte

This reticle is ok for me, but they have a simple duplex. I just like this, even if called turkey.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-1-shotgun-muzzleloader-1-4x20mm-riflescope.html

And above shows the duplex is a little heavy. For woods/deer rifle in 44mag it may be just the ticket.

I think the Leupold shotgun is best value and optics in your budget for the profil you want. The weight is 8 ounces. Good eye relief so you wont need any offset rings.

Leupold also makes a 2-7 vx1 shotgun scope with a bell in front. Not what you asked for but your friend might have his own ideas. Same price $225 give or take.

Last edited:
Thanks forbore for the good information. Bob has been looking at a Millett "Designated Marksman Scope" from Natchez, on sale for $249.99. It has all the features he wants, including the camo finish, but it comes with the "illuminated BCR-1 Reticle calibrated for .223/5.56 ammo". I'm thinking he could just ignore the non-.44 Magnum calibration and just use the crosshairs in the usual fashion for the typically no more than 100 yards Ohio deer shooting range.
Anybody know if the calibration that comes with this scope can be changed to accommodate a different cartridge?

Hard to go wrong with a Leupold. And though it is a bit of a "dark horse" in the optics world, Swift makes a pretty good hunting scope. The 1.5-4.5x32 Premiere 648M scope seems to be just about what your friend is looking for.

Jimro

My friend just advised that he bought a Leupold "VX-2 Scout", 1.5X4, matte-finished scope from the lgs for $189.99 + tax. I think he got a good price for a nice scope.

Thanks to all for taking the time to help in this purchase.

1-4x Leupold

I'm running two different Leupold 1-4x scopes, both earlier Vari-x-IIi and am well pleased with them. Both went back to Oregon for a reticle change, the chunky German #1. We also have a very nice 1.5-5x Leupold, a VX-3, on an AR, with a heavy duplex....better optic, but I am not a fan of the heavy duplex (on that particular rifle).

One of those 1-4x's ride on a .44 carbine, and I've found it an ideal combo. The 4x gives you all the magnification you'll ever need for a .44, and the lower end is wide open and very fast, especially with the big #1 posts.

Regards the Millet DMS.....I looked at that scope pretty closely , I liked the German #1 style, illuminated reticle......but that scope is really big and heavy. To me it would be completely out of place on any type of carbine or tidy bolt rifle like the OP's 77/44. A 30mm tube, variable, with illumination yields one big optic. The quality issue is notable as well, the Leupolds are likely well ahead of the Millet in durabillity and should you ever need it, service and options.

I've had very good luck with budget friendly scopes such as Bushnell and Simmons. They're available on eBay and Amazon. The Bushnell scope in this photo has held up hunting well below freezing weather in rough country. This is a variable with power settings 1.5 - 4.5X. I paid less than $80. for it and worth every penny! 44 MAG is a keeper.

Jack

Back