Scope for Rem 700 ADL in .308

frumious

Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger (yuk, yuk) on the purchase of a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Academy Sports here in the DFW area. It will be a range gun only as I do not hunt. Typical distance to target would be 50-100 yards, although maybe 200 yards some day. Why .308? I can't really say...I'm just sort of enamored of the caliber :-) THis will be my very first centerfire rifle. I shot a guy's 700 out at the range the other day and decided the recoil was not too bad...more of a strong push. My shoulder should be able to stand 100 rounds. Might have to work up to it but it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch.

Anyway, I am of course going to put a scope on the thing and I was wondering how cheap I can get away with and not have the scope disintegrate on the first round. Now, hear me out, I'm not talking a $20 special from CDNN or anything. What I currently have is a Ruger 10/22 with about a $160 (Bass Pro dollars) Nikon Prostaff variable on it that I like quite a bit. In fact I wouldn't mind getting another one to put on the .308. Or maybe the next scope up in the Nikon line, maybe $200. Nikon seems to have good value.

FOr ammo...I plan on running the cheapest brass-cased boxer-primed soft-point ammo I can find through it. I will eventually reload for it.

So will a $150-$200 scope be durable enough for a plinking .308 shot at modest distances like these?

-cls

Try the Burris Fullfield II as it will handle the 308 recoil without any problems.

FOr ammo...I plan on running the cheapest brass-cased boxer-primed soft-point ammo I can find through it.

Don't expect too much in the accuracy department with that ammo.

Invest in the best scope you can afford. A rifle is only as good as it's sighting system. Good scopes are as much an investment as the rifle itself.

Bill

Check Natchez Shooter Supply. I just received a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope for $88 dollars.

And i'd suggest going with some better ammo if you want to be accurate.

Get as much scope quality as you can afford. I agree with hoghunting. For your price range, I would suggest a burris fullfield, or a bushnell 3200.

I just checked midway (midwayusa.com). They list a 3x9 burris fullfield for 179 $ and a bushnell 3200 3x9 for 199 $. You can order on-ine with a credit card, and it will be delivered to your door.

Last edited:
@kreyzhorse: You're right. If the primos is just a differently badged monarch, then that would be a great deal.

@kreyzhorse: You're right. If the primos is just a differently badged monarch, then that would be a great deal.

I did a lot of research and that seems to be the case. The Primos scopes were evidently the last run of 3x9s on for the Monarch line.

When I saw the Primos / Monarch for that price tag, I jumped on even though I didn't actually need another scope. After deer season is over with, the new Nikon is going on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag.

I have a 700 ADL Varmint that I bought last year. I put a Mueller 4-12x APT Tactical on it. Incredible combination.

popeye - that's a good link ... thanks

I agree with all the posters who say get the best scope you can afford.

Good optics on a rifle is the gift that keeps on giving.

Daylight shooting at a range means that a whole bunch of lens is meaningless. I've never had a problem seeing thirty-caliber bullet holes in paper with 9X. (If you take up deer hunting, the scope will spend a bunch more time on 3X for the field of view than it will on 9X.)

Somebody's $200 worth of 3x9x40 will do just fine.

When you get to reloading, try some lead gas checks at around 1,800 to maybe 2,000 ft/sec. I use 2400. No recoil, excellent plinking load, and great for eye-finger coordination practice. Another option is the half-jacket 100-grain bullet; you can load it quite a bit hotter if you like, as well as down for plinkers.

Art, I don't think anyone is saying get the highest magnification you can but quality optics are the way to go if you can afford it. A 3x9 will work fine. Put a Barska beside a Zeiss, that's the difference I was referring to.

For the hunting you state you intend to do I would not even consider a variable power scope. In fact a good fixed power 2.5X would work well, and the max I would use would be a 4X.
Variable power scopes are larger, bulkier, heavier, and more expensive. The higher powers are unnecessary unless one is shooting at 400 yards or so. The only other reason to use a V is when hunting antelope in a herd. Sometimes the herd buck gets mixed in with the herd and at long range might be difficult to identify.

Companies like Leupold, Burris, Redfield, Weaver, and Bushnell make good scopes. I would not try to get the cheapest Bushnell.

The variable I have and use is on a .270, and is useful in long range shooting. It is a Leupold VX III 2.5X8. I would not want a larger or higher power scope for any hunting.
My other rifles have 4X Leupold, Redfield, or old Weaver scopes.

Regards,
Jerry

I put a Burris Signature fixed 6X scope on my Ruger #1 25-06 and a Nikon fixed 4X on a 30-30. My 7mm RM sports a Burris Signature 2.5-8 and the Guide Gun has a 2-7 variable. All purchased on EvilBay for a good price. Hunting guns don't need high magnification, field of view is often times more important. The only high magnification scopes I use are on the varmint guns. There I want to know what eyelash I'm shooting at.

Back