Scope for new X Bolt

NHSHOOTER

I have finally decided on a new X Bolt in 7-08 now for the scope, just looking on optics planet I can get a leupold vx1 3-9x50 for 300 bucks, any other suggestions in that price range?

You can get a 3-9X40 in a VX-2 for the same price. If I'm spending $300 I'd much rather have the better glass of the VX-2 over the larger objective on the lower quality VX-1.

All things being equal a 50mm front objective compared to a 40mm objective will give you about 5 minutes more usable light ONLY when the magnification is set between 8X to about 10X. At any magnification setting less than 8X or greater than 10X there is no difference.

And that assumes equal quality glass. The better glass of the VX-2 will cancel out the bigger lenses and probably be brighter in low light.

The absolute best bargain to be had right now are the top 2 in this link. Top scope has a duplex reticle, bottom version has long range dots. They are made by Meopta but with Cabelas name branded on them. This is the exact same scope that was sold under the Zeiss brand name a few years ago as the Zeiss Conquest. They sold for $550 with the Zeiss name on them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo.../Ne-1000002949?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Hold out for Christmas sales

If you can wait a bit, you'll probably see some good scope sales. Buy the best glass you can afford, even if you have to go to a smaller objective. You're buying increased clarity. Also, a 50mm objective may limit your mounting choices to medium or high rings, you'll have to check on that.

I'd rethink the 50mm. Usually means you need very high rings. Puts your head in an unusual position vs the sight and stock.

Once, I bought a VX-2 for myself and a neighbor had me order the VX-1. The difference between them was amazing! I'd never buy a VX-1.

I'd rethink the 50mm. Usually means you need very high rings. Puts your head in an unusual position vs the sight and stock.
Not necessarily true. That would depend on his barrel contour and how it's mounted, the base that is. Most Brownings are #3-#5 contours so you will have some room.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I have a ruger 77 with a leupold 50 mm mounted on it and it is very comfortable for me, I have yet to pull the trigger on a x bolt but I did buy a leupold vx-3i for what ever rifle I decide on. Might even get a another Vanguard S2.

My 30-06 wears a VX2 and it is the best glass I have in the gunsafe. Large clear image with fantastic low light visibility and great eye relief. Never owned a Zeiss to compare it to but it would have to be a BAD@$$ to best the VX2. Other glass that I own that I would call good for the money are the Nikkon Prostaff/Buckmaster BDC and the Redfield Revolution.

Back