Scope for my Revolver

IronBalls

I have a 7 shot 357 S&W (i bought b4 the ban)..I think its the model 686d or something like that. But i want to scope it for target shooting.

Thinking of a cheap Simmons 2x28 or the expensive Leupold-Gilmore red dot sight. Most likeyly the first scope...but when it comes to mounting it, i hate those weaver rails that lay attop the revolver. Isnt there a differnt way to mount...rings that just tap straight down like most hunting rifles do?

Any suggestions or sights i should check out for rings/mounting options. Thanks.

Ruger's Super Redhawks, dis-continued Blackhawk Hunter's and some of the 7.5" barrel Redhawks are setup for scope rings that attach directly to mounting cut's in the top rib of the barrel and/or frame.

Your Smith & Wesson isn't setup this way from the factory, but if you remove the screws that hold the rear sight to the frame you can buy mounting rails that will just screw to the frame in place of the rear sight. And yes, most of these mounting rails are for Weaver-style rings. If you look through the Brownells catalog at

http://www.brownells.com/homePage.asp

you will find that Weaver actually makes "Redfield Magnum Pistol Mount" that takes three rotary style rings that will fit your 686.

Leupold makes a "Pistol Mount" that use two dovetail (rotary) to mount the scope that will fit your 686 & comes in a silver finish.

You still have to have a mounting rail, but you don't have to use weaver style rings.

Back