Scope for Mosin

Yung.gunr

So I got a Mosin 91/30 as my first rifle for an anniversary gift and I am trying to weigh my options.

Should I spend more money on ammunition practicing with the stock iron sights that come on it or should I put the money into putting a scope on it?

I want to start hunting, but I don't know anything about it and I don't know anyone who does. What kind of scope would I want to get (magnification, brand)? I don't want to spend too much on a scope as the gun was only $100 and this is my first rifle and scope. My wife does not have any problem with me getting one that is right around $100 but I think she will have a problem with a more expensive one.

I understand very little about scopes and which would be best, is there a good site that I could learn about scopes? Preferably a site that you have used or are aware of. One could spend hours on Google looking for a good site.

To help with possible suggestions, I live in Arizona and plan to hunt deer most. Maybe other game......

Thanks for the help with a newbie and his rifle.

While you can really get esoteric on the scope, a straight 4x scope would settle most of your needs, ammunition, and lots of it, with the attendent practice, will do the most for your accuracy. (practice, practice, practice)
Just my humble opinion.

Tom

Start practicing with iron sights first. Mosin ammunition is cheap, but getting a scope is not. Not only do you need to get the scope itself, but you also need a mount as well. There are cheap mounts out there, but few actually like them. Also, if you want to mount the scope close to your eye, you need to get a modified bolt to make the action move without hitting the scope. Here's one website that will show you what you're looking at price wise:

http://www.rocksolidind.com/Mosin Nagant.html

Whoever conceived this abomination should be tried at The Hague.

finished.jpg

You would be amazed how accurate you can be with irons. Practice different ranges with that and get an idea where your bullets land at the different settings. If you get to the point where you really want the scope, get a jmeck mount and a bent bolt and scope of your choice (though I recommend a mil dot scope).

Emcon,
That picture, while not the color scheme I would go with, is a shot out M39 barrel removed, with just the receiver,and with a replacement Lothar Walther barrel in 7.62x54r and a Rock Solid mount.
Book, cover.
The range reports are incredible.

Yeah, I really don't like that rifle either. I like regular wooden colors, black is the farthest I will ever stray. I guess I'm one of the weird ones.

Back