Scope for CZ 527 Varmint Opinions

What calibre is your rifle?
There are less expensive places to buy a scope than Amazon too. Look at Cabela's. Might be something on sale. Don't forget that you'll need bases and rings too.

I have the same scope on Remington 700 SPS in 300bo. Generous eye relief, returns to zero without issue, and is pretty clear even on 16x. Only grip is the crosshairs are a bit on the thick side compared to the Viper lineup.

Diamondback HP is a hunting scope, where low light shots sometimes need a bit thicker reticle to be able to pick it up with fading light.

Viper is a target scope, some with capped turrets some without, therefore the reticles tend to be thinner to allow for finer aiming points than needed for a vital shot when hunting.

Diamondback HP is a good scope for the money. Not as clear glass as the viper or razor series, but certainly good for the price point and features offered.

I'm down to one problem to solve in my choices of a .223 rig.

Please recommend the best scope for my needs(see above)in the $300 range; the Vortex in diamond back has a wider windage and vertical adjustment than the viper.

A little more money for a lot more scope $440 6-18x leupold. I have a Leupold 6-18x on the 527 varmint in 223. I am very happy with this combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX-...774431?hash=item5b2a2f6a5f:g:eNoAAOSwdIFXyloc

Or I sometimes see 6-18x used for around $300. Ok, I see your price range.

Leupold 4-12 AO fine duplex, new, $350. This is close to to your price. I like the fine duplex. This is another excellent scope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX-...944758?hash=item43fad30ef6:g:zowAAOSwYIxX9Ur5

Last edited:
Just bought a Mueller scope for my browning x-bolt in .223, so far it has been great. 4.5-14x40 scope.

I'm too lazy to bother with today's new scopes. No doubt that they're very good, but I've never had a problem with the Leupold Vari-X II of yesteryear. I have a good-used 3-9x40 on my .223; $150. Same on an '06 and a 2-7x32 on my .243. They date back to 1982 and earlier.

How about a weaver Grand Slam?

I hear they are ok, but for the price you could get the 4-12x Leupold. The one I suggested. I have a used v16 weaver it is a good scope. BUT, my Leupold has much better optics. There is probably a world of difference internal.

I got a low price on the used Weaver, like new win box. I think it was $75 bucks. None of these off brands have any significant resale value. That tells you something about respect for the brand. A leupold yo can keep for a life time, even as rifles come an go.

Almost everybody has a lifetime guarantee these days. The problem is who's lifetime yours of the current incarnation of the brand. Tasco is under new ownership and all the old warranties are in effect void. Weaver is under new ownership and so -far I have never seen new scopes in local shops. its all online.

Based on my sample of one weaver and examination of vortex in the shops. I would take weaver over vortex without hesitation. Today. In a year, it can all be upside down. Like Art said leupold is a constant in a ever changing world.

Since no one mentioned, Nikon. They have great glass. You need to pay attention to the specs for your application, I hit limitations in eye relief (pistol) and moa range of adjustments(rifle) and sometimes weight and ocular size and range of focus. And I refuse to use any gimmick reticle. Duplex or an X. I guess this is true of all scopes. READ THE SPECS. When Nikon worked for me, they were pretty darn good scopes.

I know how it is. For several years, and this is no lie, I lived in a trailer court and mostly ate beans and fried potatoes, this was during my early married life while going to school. Then we rented for five years and were so happy we could afford to go to a movie or eat out. Then we got into a house, and about 10 years after that I could afford to buy a shot gun. Well, another 8 years has past and I could get the rifle and the scope.

Do the best you can do, stay with quality recommended scopes.

I put the same scope on an AR I built last year. I was underwhelmed. I say try something else. My main complaints about the scope are the crosshairs are too thick for target work, and overall the lenses are not great, as in not very sharp focus. It's an OK scope, just not quite up to what I expected for what I paid (and I paid less than your ad shows).

I would say try either stepping up to the Viper, or try a Bausch & Lomb Elite or a Weaver T series scope. The B&L and Weaver are good, and have much finer crosshairs so you can really see where you are trying to hit. Here's one for your budget number http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-4-12x40mm-A-O-Rifle-Scope-Elite-Japan-/172152694806.

Back