Scope for custom .30-06

dakota.potts

In class for our project we are all building custom .30-06 rifles from a Montana action (very close to a Winchester Model 70 with some Mauser features). The barrels we cut, thread, chamber and crown ourselves and then dropped into custom carved walnut stocks. The rifles will be highly polished and hot salt blued and the stocks finished with a high gloss and mud-rubbed oil finish. I also plan to nitre blue the screws in my bottom metal and am looking into the Talley color case hardened scope rings.

All this to say when I put a scope on it, I want it to look like it's in proper place on a very nice finished custom rifle. Something that keeps with classic lines and styling and doesn't break up the flow with large or obvious features that might look right on a "tactical" or benchrest style rifle.

The rifle will be used lightly for hunting as well as for field position target shooting (offhand, prone, kneeling etc.) so I am looking for something in moderate power like 3-9 or 4-14X. Prioritizing clarity, durability, and usefulness. Want a traditional look, but a non-traditional reticle (such as illuminated reticles) would work OK. A friend of mine from Colorado and myself have talked about going on a Colorado elk hunt after graduation and I'd love to take the rifle but I don't plan on taking through normal wood and swamp crawling after hog and deer regularly. It will mostly be going to the range in a nice case and then back to the house to sit in a safe.

Looking to stay around $300 ish but able to move upwards a little bit. The rifle will be finished around late November/early December so that's around my time frame to save up money for it.

Right now I'm looking at Leupold, Zeiss, and Vortex. I'm afraid Vortex with it's "tactical edge" look may come off gaudy on a rifle like this which may sound unimportant on some but I want the scope to be a finishing touch on a rifle I will have spent around 350 hours to make a nicely finished custom rifle and aesthetics will be very important.

Also, if anybody has pictures of their higher-end traditional rifles (nice high gloss bluing and finely finished walnut or other hardwood stocks) with their optics attached, those would be very welcome so I can get an idea what's out there.

Thanks

I favor a 2X-7X on a classic rifle.
I have never found 7X to be too little on any big game at any range I would shoot them. And I use the 2X setting for more than half of my shots clear out to 300 yards.
On a dedicated prairie dog rifle I will go up to 16X but a 30-06 will be a great all around big game rifle and the smaller more compact scope looks right and works right.

I'm going to second Wyosmith here, I love the looks of a Leupold 2-7x36.

The Hubble style scopes with knobs and knurls and slide rules have their place, but not on a classically styled rifle.

I say keep it slim and trim, with an objective no larger than 40mm, and a finish to match whatever you end up with on the rifle, though it sounds like gloss black is the only real option. :D

I'm not sure where you're going to find a reasonable scope that will look good and will have an illuminated reticle at your price point, though.

I would try to find an "old school" type steel scope. In whatever power you desire.
Old Redfield Low profile scope would be cool, but there many more probably cooler.
Definitely sounds like a very cool build Dakota.

This scope was made for Zeiss by Meopta and at one time sold for $550. Zeiss no longer catalogs it. I consider it probably the best all around scope you can get for the money. If you want one with the Zeiss badge on it they have a few here for $329.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conq...reticle-hunting-turrets-matte-black-demo.aspx

Meopta is still making the same scope and putting Cabelas Euro Instinct badges on it. They are on sale for $315. But at this time you get 20% off that plus free shipping. You could buy one for just over $250 if you hurry. I have both the original Zeiss Conquest and the Cabelas branded scope and can attest that both are the same scope other than badges.

Only the 1st 2 listed in the menu are the older Zeiss scope.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._SEQ_104535180?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Other than that I'd go with a VX-2.

On a short action I like the 2-7's OK. But I'd go with 3-9X on a long action. You can run into mounting issues with shorter scopes on long actions. You limit the options for mounts.

Scope like 2x7 Leupold, tube length is just over 5" long. Not sure length on rings your using or your length of pull 2x7 may not work.

It depends on what you plan on shooting. I do a lot of long range work and I've go to the Vortex, most 6-24 but I'm beginning to think the 6-18 is better for my needs.

But then not all rifles are the same, my pre-64 Model 70 in '06 just had to have an El Pasco 4X Weaver. They were made for each other.

I backed off the 6X24 for my 270 Win M-70 and went to the 6X18. My Tgt. 308 Model 70 still has the 6X24 as does my Ruger 6.5 CM.

The last few years I'm really getting attached to the Vortex glass.

The gold ring always seems to look classy. The most American look I can think of. You can spend less than V3 but the look always gets respect IMO.

I also have a Vortex PST, 6x24, FFP on a Cooper MDL22, 6.5-284. In 1976 I scoped a MDL700, 7MAG, with K-6 Weaver. I still think fixed power optics are as rugged as they come. I have used Nikon Monarach , and Leupold VX3 w/o complaint. I like the look of all of these.

Last edited:
This rifle is both a learning project and a resume/display piece to find future work as a gunsmith. I don't intend to ride it hard with a lot of field use and just want a fairly versatile scope, which is why I originally thought 3-9 would be great. I do like the idea of a 2-7, but I also like slightly higher than 7 power when shooting for group sizes at 100 yards.

A classmate of mine was recently sharing an article from famed gunmaker Jerry Fisher (who has made guns worth nearly a million dollars) and some quotes from Jerry himself stating he uses almost entirely fixed 4 Power scopes because all of his guns are designed to shoot inside of 300 yards. That gave me something to think about. The fixed power optics are very streamlined.

I've decided I really like the classic look of the Leupold scopes and I like the gloss options available. So now I need to decide if I want 2-7, 3-9, 4X, or 6X. I can find models for each around $300 which suits me well.

As this is a "resume rifle", I might try to borrow a nice target scope from somebody, mount it temporarily to shoot groups for your records, etc, then permenantly mount a slimmer, sleeker lower power unit for long term use.

I might do that. Put a good higher power scope on it to shoot some groups off of a bench with different types of ammo and keep those targets with the gun.

6 or 7x is adequate to shoot small groups at 100. You just have to pick the right size target for the reticle.
A round bull with a diameter 3 or 4 times the thickness of the reticle lets you consistently hold on the center of the bull.

Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 would be perfect for the rifle you describe. I have Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 scopes on three bolt action rifles: Rem. 700 BDL .270 w/ Brown Precision stock, Browning A-Bolt SS 7mm Rem Mag, and Browning A-Bolt SS .300 Win Mag. They have been perfect for pronghorn, whitetail, mule deer, elk and black bear hunting. I generally carry my rifle with the scope set a 2.5. If a higher magnification is needed, there is usually plenty of time to adjust the scope. If the lowest power is needed, it is usually too late to adjust the scope.:rolleyes: FWIW, I've shot bolt action center fire rifles for nearly 60 years and have hunted with them for 40+ years.

Last edited:
Since back around forty-some years ago, I've enjoyed great success with the old Leupold Vari-X II, 3-9x40 with duplex cross hairs. Good to 450 yards on Bambi, from experience. So, natcherly, I figure anything comparable should be plenty good. I'm prone to favor Leupolds because they are cleaner-lined than most others. Not so bulgy. Slim and sleek like a classy lady. :)

Field position target shooting? Daytime? Known distances? I'd consider super-dooper scopes as gilding the lily; more $$$ than necessary for good results. But that's just me.

I'm in agreement with Art Eatman on the Leupold 3-9X40 scope. I have six of these scopes on various rifles and have never had an issue with any of them.:)

Today's version of the old Vari-X II is called the VX-1. It is a sleek, good looking and very functional scope that is within your budget.

The 2-7X33 is would also look great on that rifle but it is a bit shorter and would probably require extension rings to get the proper eye relief.

Scope for custom .30-06
Yeah, sounds like a fair trade.

Levity aside, I recommend you borrow a scope, take good photos of the rifle with the scope mounted, then give the scope back. You will not make a positive impression by putting a cheap scope on a demo rifle, and you can't afford buying good scopes for every rifle you will build in gunsmithing school just to show them off. Borrow a good scope (S&B or Swarovski or Zeiss or Kahles, or whatever), then give it back. Sell the rifle to fund the next project. Repeat as needed.

Where is this $300 Zeiss of which you speak? That sort of money will get a middle of the road Leupold and I think it would be a good choice. I have several of them on my rifles.

I believe this is a 3x9.

standard.jpg

I like this type as it gives the rifle that European sporter look. The 1.5-5x power gives it good close to middle range capabilities.

standard.jpg

Just to be different here's an older 2x7 Bausch & Lomb that I like a lot.

standard.jpg

SaxonPig said:
Where is this $300 Zeiss of which you speak?

Cabela's awhile back blew out the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 for $300. However, you can find the same Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 for around $350. Leupold scopes never look cheap, and a 2.5-8X36 is my favorite as already mentioned above by lefyeye.

When I was shooting a 2x7 that was hard to adjust, one year I shot all my deer with 2X and one year I shot them all with 7X.

If they are broadside and I am down on the bipod, they are as good as dead at 400 yards, no point stalking any closer. But I would take a shot at 500 if that was as close as I could get.

The VX1 was plenty good enough. If I spend $2k on a scope, they don't really work any better for the hunting I do. Bill Clinton was asked why men cheat and he said "Because they can." When I am asked why I spend $2k on a scope when a VX1 is just as good, I say, "Because I don't cheat on my wife."

Back