• gloss blued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • camo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devhut

Inactive
don't know a lot about guns. will use for deer and elk. hunting mostly flat wide open terrain so 300-600yd shots possible. looking at zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 or burris eliminator lll laser scope 4-16x50 would like any help i can get! also wondering if just a fixed magnification scope would be better? would stainless scope be best? please help the novice! thanks

The X-bolt is a great gun.

The finish of your scope is darn near a completely cosmetic feature. I choose mine based on what looks good on the gun.

For brand names, Leupold, Sightron, Zeiss, Nightforce (and others) are all excellent, and priced accordingly.

6x is too high of a minimum for an inexperienced hunter.

Please realize that your not just going to slap a $600 optic (or $6,000 for that matter) on a rifle and be able to effectively kill elk at 600 yards. Expect to burn many hundreds (thousands) of rounds and a good, long time practicing, preferably with a good, professional trainer, if you expect to be able to shoot that distance.

If you don't want to look like a total noob at the range, match something on the gun. If the stock is camo, scope camo. If the barrel is stainless, stainless. If the barrel is stainless and the stock is black, stainless or black. Magnification and reticle are more important to me than color. As is quality. Zeiss, Leopold, Burris, Vortex. All good quality.

I agree, matte black scopes look nice on stainless rifles. Much better IMO than the SS scopes as they never seem to be an exact match for the stainless of the rifles. I'd look in the 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 range or a fixed 6x scope for hunting at the ranges you mentioned.

Stainless guns, I go stainless rings and black scope:

attachment.php

Or, if the action is black, I go black scope and black rings:

Gun018.jpg

Back