Scope for a .22

syonyc

Inactive
Hi Guys

I just got a Bushnell dusk and dawn 3-9x40 as a present, will it be a good fit for a marling model 60? or is an overkill for the scope?

If is a good fit, what will be a good choice of scope rings?

are see through rings any good?

Last edited:
Maybe not the best scope but I'd use it. For .22 lr I prefer actual rimfire scopes since the parallax is set for shorter ranges than 100-150 yards on most centerfire scopes. I'd just buy a set of Weaver rings and mount your free scope and go shoot, I have no issues running a 3-9 or larger powered scope on a .22 lr.

IMO avoid see-thru rings like the plague!

3-9X is too much for .22

There are plenty of people that run that kind of magnification on dedicated target guns. For an everyday plinker/small game hunter I'd opt for a fixed 4X scope of good quality. Get good rings. Cheap rings are a curse to any setup.

You can check out rimfirecentral.com and that might give you some ideas on what ought to suits your needs the best.

You said you already have the 3-9 x 40, is it overkill for shooting 50 yards or less?? Probably, but since you already have it, it'll do just fine

I've never been the guy that spends a lot on rings, especially a .22, I have cheap rings on my cz 452 riffle, and I've never had any problems

I prefer smaller and lighter scopes for use on compact .22 rifles because it helps keep a .22 sporting rifle as handy and easily carried as it was intended to be. Your scope will work but it might be a mite "top heavy" for my tastes. And, as taylorce1 opined, throw the "See-Thru" rings in the trash barrel.

Scope for .22

I have the Marlin 60 and mounted a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire that's made for the .22LR. Just a little over $100 and it came with rings. Sweet!

Quote:
IMO avoid see-thru rings like the plague!
Why?

My answer is simply because (1) scopes should be mounted as low as practical. "See-thru" rings make the scope sit high and make craning your neck necessary to get a decent sight picture. And (2), the likelyhood of a modern, quality scope failing is slim indeed, precluding the probability of having to resort to irons in an unlikely "pinch".

My scoped rim-fires have 2.5x fixed or 1-4x variables except for the 17HMR which has a 3-9x40. I definitely prefer the smaller, lighter scopes on 22's but the Bushnell Banner is a good enough scope regardless.

I've got a number of rifles that are "over-powered" on scopes... They aren't outrageously expensive scopes either, rather cheap ones.

A lot of 4-16x and some 3-9x.. Aids in seeing where they hit at like 100 yards..

You are not going to do well hunting with a scope set for 100+ yards parallax. The crosshairs will move around with your head at under 50 yards. Get a rimfire scope set parallax free at 50 yards.

You've got the scope and the rifle, and mounts are not that expensive, and will work with any 1" scope.

Put it on and see how it works, and go from there

With a little practice you can overcome parallax by paying attention to your eye position

Back