Scope for .308

viper12161

I'm looking for a scope for my Savage .308. I will be shooting primarily 100 yds and sometimes out to 200 but no further than that. I like to shoot in a friendly competition at my club that involves shooting at playing cards at 100yds. I currently have the stock Bushnell that came on the gun when I bought it and it doesn't seem to want to hold and kind of difficult to see the cards. Current scope is a 12x. Should I look for something in the 16x range or just a better 12x? I am looking at the Nikon Buckmaster II or the Vortex Diamondback, but these are both 12x power scopes. Kinda new to scopes at this range and the amount of info out there is staggering so any input would be great.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Will I be able to use the rings that are already on the rifle, or will I need to buy new rings to accommodate a new scope as well.

Whether or not you will be able to use the rings on the rifle will depend on a couple of things. Scopes today come in various diameter tubes. Some are 1 inch and some are 30mm and some are even up to 34mm. In addition, the objective bell can range in diameter all the way up to around 56 mm or more. I don't know what size rings are on your rifle but whether they work for you are not will depend on the scope you choose. Some high magnification scopes today will require high offset rings that will allow the scope to both fit the diameter of the rings but that will allow the scope to be mounted high enough to keep the objective bell to clear the barrel. Ask a friend who is into rifles or check your manual. There should be some information readily available to help you. In either event, most quality rings are not terrible expensive. Warne makes some really nice ones and I have used them for years. Good luck!

9X is more than enough magnification to see a playing card at 200 yards. I can see 1/2" dots on a target at 300 yards with my 3-9X scopes. You'll find that more quality makes it easier to see detail much better than more X's. And you don't need AO for 100-200 yard shots, any scope can be focused at those ranges.

30mm tubes offer more adjustment for long range shooting, not a factor until you get to 500-700 yards. Objectives larger than 40mm only help hunters during the last 5 minutes of daylight and only when magnification is at 10X or more. Not a factor in even decent light.

You can get more quality for the money with a 3-9X40 scope. For $200-300 you can buy several good quality scopes that will do what you want. Start going up to variables with 12-16X on the top end and $200-$300 buys you a cheap scope. A decent quality scope with more than 9X magnification, 30mm tubes and objectives over 40mm will be a $700-$800 scope and about the same quality as a $300 scope in 3-9X40.

If someone NEEDS those features then it is worth the money. You don't NEED those features to hit a playing card at 200 yards in daylight.

Thanks for the info. I had a buddy shooting next to me who had a 9x and he was saying he couldn't see a damn thing. Couldn't even tell what the card numbers were, and this was at 100yds. Gun is new to him as is scope so maybe just needs adjustment (or it's cheap, don't know the brand). Maybe he's just blind, but that is why I was thinking 12x minimum or up to 16x. But I have seen some really nice 9x scopes as well. Dammit...now I gotta research more. :)

sage

Jmr's advice is sound......buy more quality and you don't need so much X power. You don't mention what model Savage you have, but if it is of sporter configuration, again jmr's advice is spot on. A good 3-9x40mm, mounted low and solid, will serve as an ideal hunting tool, and work well for your card game too.

It's a Savage 11VT. I only use for target. No high powered hunting around here, shotgun and bow only. So only using to plunk targets.

OK

The VT is a heavy barrel rifle, yeah, varmint/target? It's sold as a package deal with the Bushnell 4-12x40mm, but I am not sure what model (scope). As that is not really a "sporter", I would look at target turrets, parallex (focus) adjustment, but I likely would not take the magnification up really high unless I was going out to 500 yds.

I'm a Leupold guy when it comes to scopes....you might shop around for a used Leupold 10X or 12X with an adjustable objective, or parallex turret to help with focus at assorted ranges. Fixed focus scopes are always a compromise at assorted distances if you are looking for utmost clarity. But...

I actually have shot a Bushnell Elite 10x40mm with target turrets at 100 yds quite a bit, and oddly enough, at quite a few playing cards. For some time I had one mounted on a precision .22lr and it did just fine, except that there was no focus/parallex adjustment and inside 50 yds, it was hamstrung. I don't know how that Bushnell will hold up on a .308, but I am going to find out, as I am going to plunk it on a .308 Hog rifle after deer season.

Awesome. So based on what you are saying, do you the Nikon Buckmaster 2 or the Vortex Diamondback I mentioned above would be decent, or should I look at something a bit more high end. Again, these are just shooting for fun, so don't want to go nuts, but I also don't want to drive myself crazy by missing the target by 5 inches each time either. :)

"...it doesn't seem to want to hold..." Hold what? What is 'it'?
A 12X is too much magnification for a .308, but increasing the magnification won't necessarily mean you can see a playing card better at 200. The more magnification you have usually means you have a bigger heavier scope with a smaller field of view.
A Savage 11VT weighs about 10 to 11 pounds. Your 'hold' issue, assuming the shooting is off hand, is more about holding that weight up and still.
You worked up a load? Think 150, 155 or 168 grain match bullet with IMR4064. And sight in 4.1" high at 100.

Sorry, by not holding, I mean it was not shooting consistently, even though my point of aim was the same. I was shooting seated off of a bipod so I was not supporting the weight of the rifle. Good point on the load, I didn't think of that. These were off the shelf Federal 180 grain rounds. I am actually getting a new press delivered tomorrow so I can start working on my own loads for this rifle. I ordered 150gr bullets, so I will start with those and see how it goes. So you thing that I should go 9x and good quality for a scope vs a higher magnification?

choice

What I'm recommending (it's always fun spending other peoples money;)) is to skip the lower end of the variable scopes, and spend a bit more on a fixed power 10X or 12X scope with target/varmint features (turrets and parallax adjustment).

Regards "hold". Your shot to shot inconsistency is likely not due to your scope, though it could be. To establish some sort of benchmark for your rifle, get some top shelf ammo and shoot some groups. By top shelf, I mean honest to gosh, .308 match stuff, 168 BTHP match. Most folks rave over Federal, and I have had good luck with Winchester in several rifles as well. It will not be cheap, but one box will be worth establishing what your rifle is capable of with the best factory ammo. When you start loading, getting your homegrown ammo to exceed the factory stuff (not easy with real factory match) will be your goal. Sporting ammo, like the 180 RN's you describe, typically will not equal the consistency of real match ammo. I'm thinking your V/T should yield sub MOA (1" at 100) 3-5 shot groups at 100 with match ammo. If it's not, I'd suspect me ( in this case, you) as the culprit.

Off a bipod, were you supporting the heel/butt of the stock with sandbags as well or simply shooting from your shoulder? If you were not fully supporting the rifle (bags and bipod) your bipod groups are a measure of your accuracy on how well you support the rifle only, not the same as measuring the full capability of the rifle accuracy wise.

Speaking for myself and my rifles, I do not get the same accuracy from a bipod ( especially a portable spring loaded type as commonly seen) as I do from a serious front rest (bench style) and sand bags, front AND rear. I've got a very serious competition bipod that comes close, but I shoot best off bags.

SSFA fixed 10X or 12X. I have both. 30mm tubes tho. I like them over my Vortex Crossfires, Diamondbacks and Vipers.

i have a 4x12 leupold with AO and clicks on a rem 700 in 7mm mag that will shoot on a nickle at 200-yrds with my reloads. and a rem 700 in 7mmo8 with a leupold 2.5x8 with clicks that will shoot on a dime at 200-yrds with my reloads from a rest. thoses rifles are not going any where soon. eastbank.

Back