Scope for .22 pistol

Prodigalshooter

I recently bought a MKII target pistol(22/45 8" bull barrel) and I want to get a scope for it. I plan to set it up so I can shoot both with and without the scope.
My basic question revolves around whether a red dot type or "regular" scope would be better? I only have experience with one other scope, the one on my 10/22, which is a regular 4x32.
I don't plan to morgage the farm for the scope, probably $100 is the most I want to spend on it (not counting rings etc.).
So, what are the pluses and minuses of the two different types?

You can get a 'decent' red dot for $50-100. I have several. One I'd stay away from is the BSA. The slots in the scope do not match up with the slots in the rail mount (at least on my contender). I feel that red dots are "quicker" to the target. You can have both eyes open. They have different brightness settings. The batteries DO wear out.
Or..............you can get a fixed power scope. I would guess 2X or 3X shotgun scope would do it. You might not be able to pick up the cross hairs in low light conditions. You need to close 1 eye during sighting. NO batteries. Just some things to think about.

Greetings,

What I have on my Ruger slabside is a Tasco 2x pistol scope. Not fancy but does the job.

I replaced the factory scope mount with a Jack Weigand weaver-style mount. It fits the same screw holes and you can still use the factory adjustable sights. Sometimes I replace the 2X scope with a red dot, just for fun.

Regards.

Ordered a Tasco Propoint PDP2 today, should have it by the time my Ruger pick-up time arrives. I'm really looking forward to this new toy, should be lots of fun!

Back