scope choice for Anschutz 22LR

Coppershot

Mates,

I have on the way an Anschutz 1710D HB 2LR with the model 54 action. I plan to use it for informal target shooting and, of course, a high end squirrel musket. What brand / model of scope would you all suggest? I would prefer a rimfire designated scope so I don't have to send it back to the mfg. to have the parallax adjusted down from the usual 150 yards or so. I would like a good scope on such a rifle.

Thanks. :)

if you are going to hunt with it mostly, id lean towards a leupold 2x7, burris timberline or nikon 3x9 with the bdc. Unless you are hunting some wide open spaces most of your shots are going to be inside of 50 yards there abouts, you really dont need much scope for that.

Weaver rimfire 3x9x32 AO is good.
or maybe Weaver V16.
or maybe a Sigthron SII 4-16 AO.

Last edited:
I like my BSA Contender 3-12x40 scope, mounted on my Yonker's Kimber Classic in 22 rimfire --- parallax setting from 10 yards to infinity --- $189.

I shoot with one guy at the range that also has same model you have. He has a 10-40 x 56 Sightron on his, just loves it. Now that might be a little on the big side:D. I have a 6-24 x 56 on mine. I have no issues coming down to shoot at 25 yards with it on 6 power. Most will say it is to much scope for a 22, but I never have understood that. Just because it is a 24 power scope does not mean I am shooting it at 400 yards. It is nice to have that power when you are target shooting at 100 yards though. Nothing worse than 7 of the 8 of us at the range waiting every 10 shots so this guy can walk down to the 50 yard target and see where he is hitting. We gladly do it but it gets old after a while. Most people that shoot 22 do not have a spotting scope.

4runnerman: Well I suppose if the rifle is capable of it, might as well have a scope to match. This gives more to think about than I had imagined. I picked up a Leupold spotting scope years ago just out of courtesy to others at the range.

Thanks.

I have on the way an Anschutz 1710D HB 2LR with the model 54 action. I plan to use it for informal target shooting and, of course, a high end squirrel musket.

An Anschutz. (And you even spelled it right.) Very nice. Color me jealous. To make us even more envious come back with a range report after you get it all set up.

I have put Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire scopes on three rifles, my own and two I have bought for the sons of friends, and will likely do it again for another kid gun. I originally wished for click adjustments rather than the friction on my older versions, but all three scopes have held zero well and the point is moot. (I do note, though, that the VX-1 2-7x33 rimfire has ¼ M.O.A. click adjustment and some other bells and whistles.)

I prefer the 28mm bell on a Leupold but going up 5mm is not much if the click adjustments are thrown into the mix. Thanks for noticing that.

Chuck, I'll send out a range report (in a month or so). In 22LR I am currently shooting a Remington Model 504T and a Kimber "Custom Classic". I figure I'd kick it up a notch with a model 54 Anschutz.

Copper- You have the same rifle he has. Believe me it is more than capable of 100 yard shots. He shoots at 300 yards with his. It is almost fun to watch him do it. he shoots a 6 inch gong he made. Hits it 8 out of 10 times too. Ya hear the shot-then silence- then --ting. Its just funny. I have 2 10/22's- Same day I lobed 100 plus down there-Never did hit it onnce.

Coppershot, I live in SWVA and know how thick the woods are around here. For hunting squirrel I would go with the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire in 3x9-40 or the fixed power. However that Anschutz is a good shooter and the Nikon scope might hold it back a bit

I have the 3x9 Prostaff on 2 of my 20 or so .22LR's and its a fine scope for the money

Here is the scope my 164 Anschutz .22 lr came with.

P1000484.jpg

Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 AO and talk about way over scoped. I traded off the scope for a different scope and picked up a used Leupold VXII 2-7X33 with target dot reticle and the parallax set at 50 yards. The rifle balances and handles so much better now. The larger Leupold was fine for shooting off the bench but even then when you quit holding it, it would roll to the side on the bags and rest.

I'd love to get a Anschutz 54 and a DIP 75 MOA rail. One of the forums I visit a lot of guys are practicing long range shooting with the .22 lr. They use 54 action rifles, the 75 MOA rail, and Super Sniper 10X Mil/Mil turrent and MilQuad reticle to stretch the .22 lr out to 500 yards in some cases. However right now a Anschutz 54 isn't in the budget but it will be some day.

I'd recommend something like the Leupold VX-2 Rimfire 3-9 EFR. It is a 3-9x adjustable objective that can adjust for ranges as short as ~7 yards, and is relatively light and compact. If there are comparable models from a German maker (and the budget wasn't an issue) I'd seriously consider them, too.

A fine rifle like that should be scoped commensurate with its quality, as it's going to continue to be a fine rifle for generations to appreciate.

Back