Scope choice for an AR-10 primarily to be used for hunting/informal target shooting

WVinMN

Ok, I'm thinking I don't want to go above 3X for the lowest power setting. On the high end, I'm considering a Leupold VX-6 3-18. I'm also considering a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5. However, I've heard a lot of good things about SWFA scopes, including the SWFA SS 3-15X42 Tactical Rifle Scope (1st plane model). I have experience with Leupold and Trijicon, but not SWFA. The price is right ($699 at Amazon), but is this scope comparable to the Leupold and Trijicon mentioned above? I realize the SWFA doesn't include an illuminated reticle, but I'm more concerned about comparable durability and optical quality. Any suggestions are welcome.

For an AR-10 with hunting and informal shooting in mind...

Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42 (bdc reticle, with illum)

Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 (mildot reticle, but no illum)

Any of the Burris Fullfield II 3-9 or 4-12 offerings with illuminated BDC reticle.

You don't need a lot of magnification for hunting, and accuracy for competition depends more on the shooters ability than the scopes magnification, so getting good hunting glass seems like a good compromise.

Jimro

Found a great deal on a Leupold VX-6 3-18X that I couldn't pass up.

Yes, the scope is used, but Leupold's provides an excellent lifetime (and transferable) warranty, which I have successfully used in the past. So, I'm not overly concerned about the scope being used. And I did save about $600 compared to the best price I could find on a new model. Not to bag on the SWFA, Burris, or Weaver models, as I'm sure they're all great scopes, but there is something about sticking with what you know. And I know Leupold and Trijicon optics. Given that the rifle this scope was purchased for likely won't be completed until mid November, it will be a month or so before I know for sure if I made a good choice.

Potential Scam Attempt at Armslist

So, I was set to buy a VX-6 scope from a seller on Armslist. The particular ad was placed by an unregistered user. When I contacted the seller, I mentioned that I'm interested in purchasing the scope if it could be shipped (original ad suggested no shipping). The seller replied back and said it could for an additional charge. I replied that I was OK with that, and requested that the seller provide an address and specific contact information so that a bank certified check could be made out properly. I didn't hear back for nearly two days, so I thought about sending another email in order to confirm our agreement. For some reason, I decided to check the original ad out again to see if it had been pulled or marked pending sale. Nope, there it was, but this time, the associated city and state of the seller had changed. Identical ad, picture, etc., just a new seller location. I thought that was odd, so I Googled "Armslist scam address change". Sure enough, this type of deception has been tried before. Now, I have to be open minded to the possibility that this wasn't a scam, and that the address change was an innocent mistake. That said, I sent another email politely stating that I'm no longer interested in purchasing the scope. On a side note, I managed to find a similar scope from a reputable dealer. Maybe I'm acting a bit paranoid, but I've been taken in the past, and have learned it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like it could of been a scam. Did you flag the post as a scam?

Anyway a good Leupold is tough to beat, they are my go scopes for a few of my rifles wearing glass these days.

No, I'm hesitant to flag the ad simply because I'm not completely sure of the seller's intent. And I agree about Leupold glass. It's as good as I'll ever need.

I like my Sightron S1 that I have on my AR10. Seems like a good mix of price and features. I like that I can zero the turrets for my hunting loads and just change the setting to my Cast Boolit loads and back, Easy.

100_9893_zpsm9fp6irk.jpg

100_9892_zpsijhzluho.jpg

Groups nice at a 100 yards. What more ya need?

100_9944_zpsntk8etiu.jpg

A good friend of mine swears by Sightron scopes. And he's an excellent shot. I guess most of us become partial to this or that brand from our initial foray into the sport. Which is why a company is wise to offer a range of products fitting an array of price points. Grab a customer when we're young, and you likely have us for life!

i just have a straight 6x42 mildot burr on mine,,,its plenty for hunting and informal target,,,if i need more than that i get out the bolt gun with the big eye on it,,,for shooting acorns at 200,,,lol

my .02
ocharry

I have Mtac 4.5 x 14 x42 it doesn't seem to any jarring or bumps. I just went and shot it 9 in high 2 left. no bad jars or bumps.

Back