Scope bases Wby Vanguard/Howa 1500

LineStretcher

Night Force is make the correct bases. Somebody finally wised up. These are rail style and Midway USA has them in stock. If you dont like full rail mounts on a hunting rifle just cut them into two pieces after you verify where your rings will sit.

I thought Remington 700 bases also fit Howa/Vanguard; should be abundant. What was your problem with others besides Nightforce?

Yes, Remington 700 bases fit the Vanguard/Howa 1500 actions. Well at least the two piece bases do, a one piece base for the Howa may not be interchangeable with the M700. I don't think I'll be spending $60 on a one piece base to take a hacksaw to it, when I can easily buy two piece bases.

"a one piece base for the Howa may not be interchangeable with the M700"

Change that to ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. My Cousin showed up here to mount and zero his HOWA 308 last month. He read the part about Rem 700 and HOWA cross fit but not that it's only with two piece bases. His one piece Rem 700 base didn't fit so I had to dismount the scope from one of my under utilized HOWA rifles to scavenge the 2 piece Weaver bases.

Go with the DNZ game reaper

Go with the DNZ game reaper. I have them on my Howa Mini-action, 308 1500 and 3 Tikkas. I will never buy another style mount/ring set up (unless these aren't available). A low fits (closely) a 40 mm objective on a 1500 with a sporter barrel.

One piece bases are interchangeable on long action Howa/Vanguard rifles and 700's. The short actions are only interchangeable with 2 piece bases.

While the actions are the same length, Remington's loading/ejection port is smaller and the spacing between the holes is a little different.

The crown at the front of the 700 is slightly taller than the Vanguard. The rear is identical. You might get lucky and have the front mount sit level with the rear but most of the time it will want to slip slightly to one side. The Night Force bases fit perfectly and do not cross reference to a 700. If you want to use 700 bases you still can if you bed them in Devcon and level them to the rifle. You have to leave the screws loose and let it setup for 24 hours then you can tighten them down. I had this same problem with my McMillan. Try finding a set of bases for that and all you'll get is 700 bases.

The crown at the front of the 700 is slightly taller than the Vanguard.

Seems to me this should be a problem whether one or two piece, however, after reading this thread when first posted, research has confirmed different part numbers for 700 and Vanguard at least for the Leupold one piece I'm looking at. The correct Vanguard specific mount has been ordered.

There you go, folks that get their rings and bases from Weatherby don't seem to be having any problems. Be sure to read the package carefully when you get those Leupold bases/rings. If it say's they'll also fit the 700 then send them back.

The Talley Lightweight mounts I ordered for my daughter's Howa .308 fit wit no issues. They also stated they were for a M700 action as well on the package.

UQkWIsU.jpg

Go with the DNZ game reaper

attachment.php
The easiest most secure set up. I have them on 2 Howas, 3 Tikka, 3 savages and a ruger. Always a dream to work with.

Attachments

• 20171214_163023.jpg
    20171214_163023.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Back