Scope and Hogue for my Ruger 10/22?

twoblink

Just shot it this saturday, I love it!! The wood stock is slippery though, and so I was going to change it to a Hogue, I think they make two types. I was interested in the Cobblestone Rubber Overmold. Can someone who has this give me some input?

Also, I don't know if I should spend that much money on a scope, but I call tell you that the sights it comes with suck. So I was going to plop down something like $50 and get a low powered Bushnell or something like that. Should I do that or save up for a nice scope? I'm thinking I won't shoot more than 100yards with it, so a 4x is good enough. My thinking is even a not so great scope is better than the regular sights right?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW, the 10/22 is fun to shoot and a great bang for the buck. I shot all day and managed to shoot $3.50 worth of ammo, now that's value!!!

Albert

twoblink:

When the Hogue Overmolded stocks came out, I thought,"now I've found my perfect 10/22 stock!"

Then I picked up Hogue-stocked 10/22 at a gun show and 'Yeesh'-it felt all 'floppy', I.E. not at all rigid, but flexible, just a really wierd feeling stock. Apparently the reinforcing/bedding block they're molded around is just not rigid enough. I can't imagine this being conducive to accuracy.

My 10/22 wears a Fajen laminated stock, but it's no longer available. My bosses'
rifle has a Boyd's laminate. Both of them get MAJOR "ooh's and aah's" when they're uncased at the range. Try www.boydboys.com for some great laminated wood stocks. If price is a problem, I'd suggest a Butler Creek synthetic stock. Midway and Natchez Shooter's Suupply are good sources.

I'm TOTALLY with you on the scope question; sure, it would be nice to put a Burris or Leupold on every .22, but would I really benefit, given the distances involved? Still, with 3-9X32, 40, or even 50mm scopes available so cheap, I'd probably go with a variable. The 4X .22 scopes will run almost as much. (Try Natchez for scopes; you could probably pick up a 3-9 for 40 bucks, or a 4-12 for about 60. I'm talking Bushnell, Simmons, or Tasco, espicially the last.)

I've got a Simmons 6-18 airgun scope on my 10/22; about $119 at Natchez or Midsouth. Target turrets, AO, fabulous scope and it didn't cost as much as the gun! But if I were picking the best scope for the money, it would be a Tasco Mag-IV, 4-16 (AO), available in gloss black or in silver, for about $80.)

Best,weegee...

I love the Hogue overmolded stock! I put it on my stainless 10/22 when I went to the copolymer bull barrel. The barrel doesn't heat up, stays accurate, and is extremely light, yet very well balanced in hand. I added the stabilizer module, and other than looks I'm not sure what it does for the gun.

For the scope, whatever you get, I recommend the Weaver sight thru rings, which need their own base plate.

Now if I could just fix the occasional misfire problem, and get a trigger job, this is a perfect .22.

Last Thursday I bought a Magnum Research Inc "Graphite Magnumlite" bull barrel and a Hogue Overmold stock for my 10/22. I can't comment on accuracy since I haven't shot it with the new toyz installed but this rifle is now the lightest, most balanced rifle that I have ever owned. I am looking into getting one of the Boyd stocks though. I am going to start shooting the local BR50 indoor benchrest competition tournament and I just don't think that the Hogue is going to produce the *repeatable* accuracy that will be required to compete in this class. Most of the "winners" in BR50 are using either Fajen or Boyds target stocks. I really want to win.
smile.gif

If you just want a good plinking, small game hunting stock I would think that the Hogue would suit you just fine. It feels great. FWIW, it wasn't a "drop-in" for my rifle. I had to use my dremel and some hand sanding to get the action to seat fully in the stock. I also had to use a milling bit to slightly mill the action bolt hole face (bottom side of stock) so that the original bolt would reach the action through the Hogue stock. Not a big deal (for me), just thought you'd like to know.

------------------
R6...aka...Chris

[This message has been edited by Rainbow Six (edited April 17, 2000).]

Oh. As for a scope, I currently have a Tasco 3-9x40 variable on mine. It is great for plinking/hunting. I ordered a BSA 6-24X40 to use for the BR50 though. It should be in today or tomorrow. It all depends on what you plan to do with yours.

------------------
R6...aka...Chris

Back