Scope an SKS?

DAL

I finally shot my SKS yesterday and I was really happy with it. The only thing I'd like to try is to put a scope on it. I know, I know...the SKS wasn't designed for a scope. But setting that fact aside for a moment, has anyone scoped their SKS? What was the result?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

My brother put a scope on his SKS, but I don't know what kind. The result was that even I am a pretty fair shot with it. If I had an SKS I would definitely put a scope on it.

I've got one of those short 4x chinese scopes w/ see-thru mount on my SKS that won't interfere with the action. It's no tack driver, but I like the scope because staring at an iron sight picture gets blurry after awhile - guess my eyes are gettin old. I think the scope and mount both cost $60 or $80 bucks.

I have a Leapers scope mount on my SKS with a 4x Chinese scope which works pretty well. I had a regular receiver cover mount before and it would not hold a zero very well. The Leapers has screws on the side that keep the mount secure against the receiver. I get better groups with the scope setup than with iron sights.

If you scope your SKS, I recommend the mount from B-Square, as it holds very steady and will not lose zero on every shot.

Simmons, Leapers, and a few others make shorty 4X scopes that are of a length where ejected brass will not hit the scope and break it. My personal favorite is the Simmions SKS 4X.

Do not expect anything better than 2-3 MOA accuracy with your SKS. They are not precision weapons and will not make 400 yard head shots! I put a scope on mine to facilitate more accurate shots on deer out to 200 yards max. For this, I zeroed at 150 yards with Russian Wolf 123 grain JHP.

Hope this helps!

I also put one of those inexpensive Chinese short scopes on my SKS. I haven't had time to zero it in. The scope comes with a replacement receiver cover which has the mount for the rings, and Cabela's had the whole thing in a package for not very much money. I had to grind down the front of the receiver cover some, but that was the only adjustment. (My SKS is Romanian, and the replacement cover comes oversize to make sure it fits all SKS models.) It is helpful to have a little magnification.

I had a scoped SKS. The mount I chose was called a K-Mount. It involved a little smithing as it was mounted to the reciever by allen head screws. It fit over the reciever cover instead of replacing it.
The only draw back was you needed to dismount the whole business to clean the rifle. The good part about it being one unit was that when you re-mounted it, the scope was relatively zeroed.
The bad part about replacement reciever cover mounts is that they move when the gun fires. They also transfer that movement to the scope.
My SKS was as accurate as I needed it to be, and was a great groundhog gun.

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

Yes, I scoped my SKS. VERY happy with the result.

I put it in a Choate Stock, and used a receiver mount made by DC Guns out of Detroit. Very nice unit. The scope was a relatively cheap 4X unit from China, but the combination still allowed me to, using Winchester ammo, turn in a 1.25" group at 100 yards. Not bad for a Skuz...

You may want to check out Millett. http://www.millettsights.com They make a mount that replaces the rear sight. Allows for loading with stripperclips,cleanning without being removed and opens up more choices for scopes. I use their SP-1 REDOT. Nice package for the SKS.

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.

weegee-
I have the inexpensive Chinese 4x scope.
I can still use stripper clips, but it's not as convenient. You kind of have to pay more attention to what you're doing and load them straight down.
You can also still use the iron sights.

------------------
"...where the wind comes sweeping down the plains..."

3 gun, that looks like a good possibility. I think I'll try one of those packages. I don't have any experience using red dot scopes, but I'm sure it'll do just fine for plinking. Thanks.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

Agree with 3gun- I got a Leapers scope mount and put a Millete Red Dot on it. This went on a ChiCom Paratrooper SKS. Worked great.

------------------
"middle of the road"-where a yellow streak and dead carcasses are found.

Back