Scope adjustment at maximum

skeeter

Put my new Weaver V24 on a 10/22T with weaver T09 mount and vertical adjustment can go no more. Bullet impact is still about 4 inches below bullseye. Should I shim the rear ring (under the scope tube) or shim the T09 mount?
Is there a mount for the 10/22 that can be adjusted and who makes it? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Skeeter, shim the mount. I would find mechanical zero on the scope itself and then shim until you are close with bore sighting techniques. George

I have the same problem with my scope setup on my 10/22. I have however been able to zero at 50yds. The problem I have is that I don't have that much more elevation left to adjust for longer distances. I have a 6-24x44AO with finger adjustable turrets that I would like to be able to use. My question is:

1. What material do you use for a shim?

2. Should the shim go under the entire base of the scope mount? or just under the front (if more elevation is required)

3. How thick should the shim be?

Thanks,
WinMag

WinMag, you can use lead flattened out the the thickness required. But, Brownells, www.brownells.com sells pre-cut, pre-drilled shims. You get an assortment of several thicknesses. I would only shim the one end. The thickness will be whatever it takes to get the base level. If after the base is parallel with the reciever you still do not have enough adjustment then go thicker or add another shim. George

Thanks George!

Just one last question to make sure I am understanding all this correctily...The shims go inbetween the reciever and the base...correct? or do they go between the rings and the base? I have gotten two different answers on this one.
Also would a thicker scope base or higher rings solve the problem?

Thanks for your help!
WinMag

Winmag, they go between the base and receiver. A different base might make the difference as it may be parallel with the receiver. Then again it could make it worse or go in the other direction. Higher rings might also work. But, shims is a whole lot cheaper than mounts and rings. George

WIN MAG & GEORGE: The very best shims are small squares cut from BUDcans. I know that this is classified information but I should give it to the world! You can read my post about the .002 etc. but the can shims do work! I even have some thin store bought shims if you want them.
Hank I know I'm giving it all away here!

Weaver's info sheets that come with the scope say on one sheet to shim the mount between the receiver and the other sheet says shim under the rings. I guess both will work. Do not ust lead as it will compress. What I finally did was to get a set of Burris adjustable rings that come with different hard , hard plastic inserts that fit inside the rings. With the assortment of insert you can adjust up tp 20 inches at 100 yards and up to 40 inches with optional inserts. You can also adjust for windage as well as elevation. The down side is cost at $30 but without a discount. You also need a different mount if you are using a T09 Weaver. It does work and look real nice. For my 42mm objective I used BURRIS POS-ALIGN rings Medium Std. Matte part # 420401 and Leupold Std 10/22 matte mount part #51723. If you shim note that a Coke can is 3/1000 of a in which I beleive will give you 3" at 100 yard difference. I needed 9" and did not want to use 3 shims. Heard elevation problem is common with Ruger 10/22 especially if you use a scope with limited adjustment. I had no problem with a cheap Banner 3x9x32 that cost as much as the rings. It had more adjustment to it than the Weaver. Good luck

Back