School Orders Psych Eval for Student Advocating Concealed Carry

Bud Helms

Hamline University Student Suspended After Advocating Concealed Carry for Students

School Orders Psychological Evaluation

October 10, 2007

FIRE Press Release
ST. PAUL, Minn., October 10, 2007—Hamline University has suspended a student after he sent an e-mail suggesting that the Virginia Tech massacre might have been stopped if students had been allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus. Student Troy Scheffler is now required to undergo a mandatory “mental health evaluation” before being allowed to return to school. Scheffler, who was suspended without due process just two days after sending the e-mail, has turned to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

“Hamline’s punishment of Troy Scheffler is severe, unfair, and apparently unwarranted,” FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. “Peacefully advocating for students’ ability to carry a concealed weapon as a response to the Virginia Tech shootings may be controversial, but it simply does not justify ordering a mandatory psychological evaluation.”

On April 17, 2007, Hamline’s Vice President of Student Affairs, David Stern, sent an e-mail to the campus community offering extra counseling for Hamline students in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings. Later that day, Scheffler responded directly to Stern, arguing that Virginia Tech’s ban on concealed weapons was part of the problem and advocating that Hamline eliminate its similar policies. Scheffler also wrote that the university’s diversity programs may have angered some in the student body, himself included.

On April 19, 2007, Hamline University President Linda Hanson e-mailed the campus community again to address the tragedy at Virginia Tech. Scheffler responded directly to Hanson and again criticized the university’s concealed weapons ban, academic standards, financial policies, and the university’s efforts to promote diversity.

Hanson replied to Scheffler on Friday, April 20, offering him a chance to meet with university personnel to discuss his views the following week. Yet on Monday, April 23, before Scheffler was even able to respond to Hanson’s invitation, he received a hand-delivered letter from Dean of Students Alan Sickbert notifying him that his e-mails to Stern and Hanson were “deemed to be threatening and thus an alleged violation of the Hamline University Judicial Code.”

Sickbert’s letter also informed Scheffler that he was being placed on immediate “interim suspension” that could not be lifted unless he agreed to a “mental health evaluation” by a licensed mental health professional.

FIRE wrote to President Hanson on May 29, 2007, vehemently opposing the sanctions against Scheffler, since neither of Scheffler’s e-mails even came close to meeting the legal definition of a “threat.” FIRE also pointed out that Hamline maintains a “Freedom of Expression and Inquiry” policy that encourages the public expression of opinions and the freedom to examine and discuss all questions of interest. FIRE wrote that “it is difficult to reconcile these admirable commitments to freedom of expression with Hamline’s hasty actions against Scheffler.”

FIRE also informed Hamline administrators that subjecting Scheffler to a mandatory psychological evaluation poses a grave threat to liberty at Hamline. FIRE wrote, “A psychological evaluation, to be overseen by a Hamline administrator, is one of the most invasive and disturbing intrusions upon Scheffler’s individual right to private conscience imaginable. Because Scheffler has shown no proclivity toward violence and has made no threatening comments, this psychological evaluation seeks to assess his political opinions….”

Hanson responded to FIRE on June 11, 2007, claiming that there were several reasons for Scheffler’s suspension, including the e-mails, his failure to meet with administrators when invited, and “critical input from various members of the Hamline community.” FIRE addressed each of those claims in another letter to Hanson on September 17, 2007. Not only did FIRE reiterate that Scheffler’s e-mails were not threats, but it also pointed out that Scheffler was given less than one full business day before his suspension to respond to the invitation from school officials to discuss his views. FIRE also noted that the alleged information from “various members of the Hamline community,” which supposedly played a role in determining Scheffler’s sanctions, had not even been revealed to Scheffler himself, denying him the right to defend himself or present his side of the story. In a September 28, 2007, response, Hamline’s attorneys refused to address FIRE’s concerns that Scheffler has been denied his due process rights.

“How can Scheffler hope to defend himself when Hamline refuses even to tell him what he is accused of doing?” FIRE Vice President Robert Shibley asked. “Hamline’s policies promise freedom of expression and basic due process to its students, but this case brings the sincerity of those promises into serious question. FIRE calls on President Hanson to either admit that the suspension and order for a ‘mental health evaluation’ had no justifiable basis or give Scheffler all the information he needs to respond to the charges against him.”

FIRE is a nonprofit educational foundation that unites civil rights and civil liberties leaders, scholars, journalists, and public intellectuals from across the political and ideological spectrum on behalf of individual rights, due process, freedom of expression, academic freedom, and rights of conscience at our nation’s colleges and universities. FIRE’s efforts to preserve liberty across America can be viewed at thefire.org.

Robert Shibley, Vice President, FIRE: 215-717-3473; robert@thefire.org
Linda Hanson, President, Hamline University: 651-523-2202; lhanson@hamline.edu
David Stern, Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, Hamline University: 651‑523-2088; dstern02@hamline.edu

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

I would sue the school for all the money I had given them and take myself elsewhere, and make it nationally known what they have done.

I would make my public statement to them:

"If you want to make your school a smorgasbord for murderers by creating a defenseless population, feel free. I'm outta hea!"

Plain sickening and ignorant.

I just wish we had the copies of some of those emails. Perhaps they would shed some light on this issue a bit better.

This is really, really sad. It's sick that a university is using the smear tactic of "if you hold veiws contrary to our own, then you must be mentally ill." The only goal here was to stick CCW rights advocates with the "mentally unstable, crazy, lunitic, maniac, must want to shoot people if you want to carry a gun" stigma in order to keep more people from joining in. After all, you don't really want to carry a gun on campus do you, cause only a CRAZY person would want to do that. You're not crazy, are you?

Our of curiosity, do you still have a link handy to the original emails? Mainly because if I remember correctly, we aren't exactly talking about calm and rational support of a sensible CCW policy. I seem to remember him sounding like an idiot, and possibly a bigoted and/or unstable one at that. But it's entirely possible my memory of it was just exaggerated.

But..

Don't forget, we need to compromise with these folks. If we invite them to a campfire and sing "Kumbaya" together, the libs will become our friends. And to think that some folks here think that the Nuge is extreme!:confused:

his e-mails to Stern and Hanson were “deemed to be threatening

Threatening e-mails to school administrators seem like the perfect reason to request this young man be evaluated by a shrink. He is not in trouble because he advocated CCW as a solution, he is in trouble because of HOW he did that advocacy.

Threatening e-mails to school administrators seem like the perfect reason to request this young man be evaluated by a shrink. He is not in trouble because he advocated CCW as a solution, he is in trouble because of HOW he did that advocacy.

I don't know, I don't think his emails were particularly "threatening" (after re-reading them). At least not to anybody without an agenda...just in the standard "if we look hard enough can this be construed as threatening" sense. Personally I don't see why they even went that route...I'd hope that the rest of the content of those emails, as well as the tone, would be more than enough for sanctions, especially at a private school.

But whatever. The guy sounded like an idiot. Honestly, I doubt that his demands that the CCW ban be lifted really had much at all to do with their reaction...I think "the rest" is probably responsible for a majority of it. Seriously, this is not the guy we want to hold up as our posterboy for firearms rights.

The old "psychological evaluation" ploy. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to meet with their shrink. I'll even bring my lawyer and a professionally selected shrink. If they find nothing wrong, they pay my lawyer and shrink for their time. :D

Sounds to me like this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Ranting about minorities and other policies that rankle him... my guess is that he's frustrated and maybe having a hard time in school.

At the very least, he does have a suit against the school for false advertising of their so-called "free speech" policies.

"workers of the world unite"

How dare this ignorant student question the administration of a fine university the expresion of independent thought must be supressed. It is high time to open the reeducation camps a little waterboarding will correct this line of thought:barf::barf:

This is satire.

From the e-mail quoted in the original:
...there may be people on the edge ready to snap. I cant say I blame them, I myself am tired of having to pay my own extremely overpriced tuition to make up for minorities not paying theirs...

Saying there may be people on the edge who are ready to snap and then saying "I can't say I blame them" is very close to saying "I am on the edge and ready to snap". People often attribute their own feelings to others.

Based on the e-mails, and in light of VT I would definately fear this kid was close to the edge and might snap. We can't have it both ways. Looking at the VT incident it is easy in hindsight to say "someone should have seen this coming", but in a case where someone did see it coming we have to be willing to do something about it, like expect the potential "snapee" to see a therapist before he snaps.

Justme,

Based on the e-mails, and in light of VT I would definately fear this kid was close to the edge and might snap.

So, that would justify sending a message on a Friday that says let's discuss this next week and then claim that the recipient "failed to meet with administrators when invited" because you did not receive a reply by Monday morning? [insert disgusted sound]

Hamline maintains a “Freedom of Expression and Inquiry” policy that encourages the public expression of opinions and the freedom to examine and discuss all questions of interest.

...unless, of course, we can discern the slightest hostility or lack of political correctness in your expressed opinion. In such cases we may suspend you, require a you to undergo a psychological evaluation before continuing classes, monitor your activties on campus, or expell you for expressing potentially threatening ideas.

Using psychiatry against political opponents is a well accepted amongst psychiatric professionals. . . at least it was under the Soviet Union.

:barf::barf::barf:

I have a step son that was denied entry into the Navy following discovery of a psyc evaluation by a High School shrink! It stated he was a loner and not sociable. In the interview he seems to have mentioned that some people are a wast of skin.

rolleyes:

Mr. James Using psychiatry against political opponents is a well accepted amongst psychiatric professionals. . . at least it was under the Soviet Union.

I came in to say the exact same thing. It was a common tactic in Soviet Russia. Disagree with the official policy, why you must be mentally ill. Off to a hospital you go for "treatment".:barf:

Back