School me on the 7mm RUM

Rmart30

May have a chance to make a trade for a SS BDL rem M700 in 7mmRUM.

Not a magnum fan myself so havent paid much attention to anything about this caliber. If I get it , it will be to flip and not keep.

This caliber rifle easy to move? I see ammo is pretty pricey. I did a quick search for used rifles int his caliber for sale but found very little in this caliber to compare pricing too.

You have to be careful what you pay for it because Remington offers it in an affordable factory rifle. It is easy to move in the West. Bean field hunters are your only market for it in the east. Having said that, I live in Georgia and have 2 of them. I have 2 spare barrels for each.;) Seriously.

Don't count on it moving fast out west either. I won't bash grossly overbore magnums, because I own some. I don't shoot them much anymore. They are 300, and 340WBY.

The 7RUM is about the most overbore cartridge that I can think of, that isn't some wildcat. I only know a couple of people that bought one and neither one still has it.

I don't think this as an investment would be wise. Most shooters that I know don't really consider it a versatile hunting tool. It would totally unsuitable as a range toy. Barrel life could be as little as 500 rounds. As a re-loader I don't like Rem brass. It doesn't stand up to pressure as well as Norma or Lapua, in my experience with WBY mags. I tried discount Rem bag brass once and was very disappointed.

I would have to pass. I don't care for the rifle or the chambering.

The only reason I said what I did about the WSM is cause unless you hand load you have a very limited selection of ammo. The ballistics are identical to the 7mm remmag. With that being said the only advantage is if you reload you use less powder.

Well I took it on the trade. Beautiful gun just too much caliber for our hunting here. I will put it up for sale/trade for another 700 in a SA caliber.

Attachments

• rmef 1.jpg
    rmef 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 29
  • rmef 2.jpg
    rmef 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 14
  • rmef3.jpg
    rmef3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
Biggest issue is the lack of ammo or brass. Both Midway and Grafs show only Norma(Midway $61.99 per 25 for brass. $69.99 per 20 for ammo. Graf's is similar.) Not loaded by either Hornady or Federal. Doesn't appear to be loaded by Remington either.

The price of brass is not really a huge issue if you consider it a hunting cartridge and not a plinking round. Factory ammo is $50 per box. Pretty much in line with Weatherby.

Back