School me on predator calls

Sorry to say that I have no advice for you but I am looking forward to some helpful hints from up here in NH. We have a good population of coyotes and I too would like to call some in..

We've used fawn distress, ground hog distress, and rabbit distress. All work great.

I hunt with a friend a lot who is a superb caller. When dogs hung up he's used a multitude of howling/barking ( I'm no expert at describing all the dog sounds he uses) and many times that would bring them in.

On two occasions we had two dogs come in at once. We killed one and the other ran off. Immediately we'd set off a coyote distress call, those two times it was enough to spur the other yotes curiosity to get him to poke his head back out. Both of them were dropped in their tracks.

I've used mouth-blown wounded rabbit calls as well as wounded rabbit tapes in a baby boom-box.

Watch the volume. I doubt that a coyote would want to mess with a 400-pound rabbit. :D

Coyotes will come directly toward a call, but somewhere within 50-ish yards will circle to approach from downwind. Usually. Keep that in mind when setting up for a calling site.

At night, make brief sweeps with a light. Don't spot eyes and keep the light directed on them. Pick up eyes in the lower edge of the beam. A red covering on a Q-Beam or a Streamlight SL 20 works well. After seeing eyes, changing to a standard 2-D Cell flashlight can work well.

The closer in, the softer you call.

I use a FoxPro Fury and it is priceless as far as that goes. But i hunt alone also so its worth it. Rabbit distress is my number 1 then rodent but i have gotten into using howls and coyote vocalizations as well. Seems to work pretty well. For Bobcats i use bird distress sounds or the mating calls.

Rabbit in distress will bring them in, at least until they wise up on it.

From late spring into summer, I would try fawn in distress, or even just fawn noises. This is when the does are giving birth, and the fawns are vulnerable at this time and up there in the list of a coyote's favorite things to eat.

Coyotes are very opportunistic, the noise made by most any small mammal, and especially one in distress will peak their interest. Coyote vocalizations will sometimes get their attention. They make a pretty wide range of vocalizations for all sorts of situations, some of which are useful for bringing them in.

I use both mouth blown calls and electronic calls, I have more success with mouth blown calls.

I have a good assortment of mouth blown calls, some custom made, some I made out of deer antler, but my favorite are my "Little Buddie" calls sold by Ron Finley of Finley Furs.

These calls don't look like much, they look like cut down ball point ink pens, They are my go to calls and bringem in when everything else seems to fail.

When going predator calling I never leave home with out my "Little Buddie" calls.

Ron's number is (806) 944-5464, give him a call the calls are not expensive.

Good luck out there.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

As far as mouth-blown, production calls, I've had good luck with the Primos 3rd Degree. It's a small call, and sounds pretty good, IMHO. I'm not yote expert, though. I also keep a squeaker, which once, was enough to get that yote around the scrub oak and in line with my Saiga sights.

If you are going to be calling while in the stand, after no deer show, I would suggest any off the shelf closed reed hand call.
Like mentioned above, anything that sounds like a small animal in trouble will bring them in.
The closed reed calls are easier to get a decent sound out of as you begin. A open reed call is more versatile but take a bit more to learn.

If you want to start going out specifically targeting coyotes then there are a few items you should look into.
-either a bi-pod or shooting sticks. you need a good stable rest that is portable.
-some type of seat or cushion. Movement will get you spotted way before you spot the predator! You must sit still! This is easier when you are comfortable!
-a decoy of some kind. I like the MOJO Critter but a feather and sting will work as well!
- a set of hand calls that allow you to make any sound you want and then practice a lot! I use calls, both hand calls and diaphragms, from Reese Outdoors!
-an electric call that can attract attention to the decoy instead of you. I will use hand calls and have the e-call running low by the decoy. I use a Primos Turbo Dogg. It isn't the best on the market but it works!

The you need to get familiar with a coyotes body language by watching every piece of video of a coyote responding to a call that you can get your hands on. Register at www.buckingtheodds.com and they have quite a few free videos you can watch.
You need to know when a coyote is just being cautious and when it sees something it doesn't like.

As for sounds, I would do a lot of studying before you start playing with coyote vocals. A challenge howl invites the local coyotes to a duel. A warning howl tells all coyotes with in ear shot that trouble is brewing! To the human ear there is not much difference between the two.

Learn how to play the wind. A coyote's ole factory may be the best in the woods! No fooling this nose!

They can also appear out of no where and they are fast. An up close fur rocket is hard to find in the scope! I tote a shotgun to each stand with me!

But most of all have patience and learn something each time out!

Oh, and take pictures! ;)
Good luck! It is addictive!

Last edited:
I keep a mouse squeaker in my pack whenever I'm out deer hunting in case I spot one in the field. I also bought a primos rabbit mouth call, but I've never taken it outside the house.

In 12 years of hunting in the area I do, I've only seen about 3 yotes. I've never actually set out to hunt them specifically, just because I don't think there are that many out there. I guess I should just give it a try, you never know.

Thanks for bringing this up and motivating me :D

Back