Schofield top-break revolver

Ceol Mhor

I've been looking around for CAS-legal single action revolvers, and the Schofield really piqued my interest (mainly because it's different from all the SAA clones). As far as I can tell, the companies making reproductions of them are Uberti, Navy Arms, and S&W. But S&W's version is only available in .45 Russian (which I can't get a rifle in), while Navy and Uberti offer them in .44-40, which is what I'm leaning towards. Does anyone know anything about the two companies? Is one better than the other? Is there anything particularly good or bad about Schofields? Any info would be much appreciated...thanks in advance.

Navy Arms gets theirs from Uberti.
So you would only see differences (if any) from Navy's and Uberti USA's in-house quality control.
And some luck, as with any gun or anything else mass produced.

I had a Cimarron - ASM Schofield. It was dreadful. I saw a couple of others no better. They don't do those anymore, in fact, Cimarron now buys from Uberti since AWA bought out ASM. Who does not sell Schofields either.

I'd go Navy. It was Val Forgett at Navy Arms who got the whole Schofield repro thing started in the first place.

Ok, I THINK that Navy Arms Schofield is also made by Uberti, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

I, too, am fascinated in and dearly love the Schofield design. I've fired authentic No. 3s (not an authentic Schofield, though), as well as the repops. Really neat guns.

I found that the latch can be kind of hard to operate. It takes some getting used to.

The grips slip through the hand easily during recoil, which both helps and hinders follow up shot placement. Helps by making it easier to cock the hammer, hinders by requiring you to reposition the gun in your hand.

The reproductions are a little bigger than the S&W guns; the original frame was too short to handle .45 Colt/.44-40.

Strictly speaking, though, the S&W repop isn't authentic either, if it is offered just in .44 Russian. The Schofield military revolver was made only in .45 Smith & Wesson.

The biggest drawback to these guns, and the reason why I haven't gotten one?

The price. The repops are $700 and up, and the S&W guns are more than double that.

Most guns chambered for .45 Colt can fire .45 Schofield. I do this all the time as I have a pair of Cimarron 72 Open Tops in .45 Schofield and an Uberti 1866 rifle in .45 colt. .45 Schofields fire just fine in the rifle, and through my Vaqueros too. Some revolvers may have a problem firing Schofield rounds because the rim is a little bigger.

Interchangeability between .45 S&W and .45 Colt is iffy. The original .45 S&W could not be used in the Colt because the rims allowed loading only 3 rounds in the Colt cylinder (why do you think the .45 Colt rims are so small?), and the .45 Colt could not be used in the S&W because it is too long. The Army ended up developing its own cartridge with a Colt size rim and S&W length.
If the currently made S&W Schofield ammo is the same dimension as the older, and the chambers are the same, the ammo will not be interchangeable with the Colt, either way.

Jim

One neccessity with Schofields is a proper holster. That one-hand operating thumblatch likes to catch on the edge of holsters that aren't designed for Schofields. This unlatches the gun, which then proceeds to open when you draw it, and dump all your bullets out. MOST embarassing!:o I have read about this happening several times at CAS matches.

For that reason I have a tendency to lean towards the original S&W #3 style latch, which is attached to the barrel and lifts UP, instead of pulling back. However, this takes two hands, usually. The Schofield thumblatch was designed with horseback use in mind, something I don't find myself doing to much.

That being said, it is an easily avoided issue with the proper holster, which more makers are building now what with the popularity of the Schofield for CAS

Thanks for the info, guys. I think the S&W version is definitely out, thanks to their politics and the $1500 cost. I hadn't realized they wanted that much for them. Also, I think I'd prefer the backwards-operating latch, if it can be worked with one hand rather than a two-handed one.

And even if they work well, I'm pretty leery about using calibers other than intended in my guns.

Ceol,

the "backward operating latch" is the latch that you're going to find on most, if not all, of the reproduction Schofields.

It's the Schofield latch, and was supposedly designed so that the trooper, at full gallop, could rake the gun down across his breeches or saddle and pivot the gun open.

Another supposed advantage was that an enemy in hand-to-hand combat could not as easily grab the latch and snap the gun open. Sounds silly, but I think Schofield and S&W actually promoted the gun using that idea. I know S&W promoted the Perfected Model as being immune to "latch snatching". Must have been a lot of it going around.

Jim

Back