Schofield Rush

Ned Roundtree

Well ever since the Tom Selleck movie came out, cowboys have been rushing out to buy Schofields. Only problem is they are hard to find. This week alone I know of three that have somehow managed to find new or used Schofields. I guess folks will be looking for 1886 Winchesters next.

At one conference, S&W brought out their pistols and a Schofield revolver. Drool. They use the original dies and jigs to make it and would you like to know why it's a S&W Custom Shop gun? (Of course everyone wants to know) Because the Custom Shop are the only folks around at S&W with the old machinery with which to make it. No CNC mills or lathes there. The rest of the factory is just too modern. Unfortunately for me, they didn't bring out any ammo so I could "test" fire it. I also asked whether I could get the gun at a discount price if I went through the S&W Academy (Academy grads get a "good gun" deal) and they were unsure about the Schofield.

Howdy Gary,

Don't the S&W Schofields have a frame-mounted firing pin?? That would take some modification of the original dies and jigs, methinks. For the money, I would buy one of the Uberti Schofields. Not as expensive and closer to the real McCoy.

Bellicose Bill

I don't know Bill, I would be awful tempted to own a gun that has been out of production so long. Sorta a Second Generation Schofield. I would love to see one in person.

Y'know Bill, I didn't notice and I'm first to profess an ignorance in the arm (I'm more intimate with Webleys of all things!). Their attorneys could have done some reengineering on it, but the basic gun is built in the Custom Shop.

Back