Scent control clothing

justinh

I'm thinking of buying some, but don't have the money to get the whole set. That leads me to this question: If you could have only scent control clothing item which would it be? (Jacket, pants, facemask, cap, etc.)

jacket, facemask, cap, pants in that order...

you could also try some of the spray-on eliminators (cabela's markets a great one).

i just use the spray, and a little judgement in wind nowadays.

I don't quite see how "scent control" clothing will keep the smell of your boots, face, hair and hands from possibly alerting Bambi.

Unscented laundry soap, and not using softener-strips in the dryer will keep regular clothing from being a particular problem of "over-odiferousness".

Seems to me that paying attention to the wind will make more difference than anything else.

:), Art

I harp on knowing the wind, and wind patterns, for several reasons. Down here in the desert, the wind (absent some weather event) tends to come from the NW in the early morning. About two hours or so after sunup, it dies out. Another hour or two and it begins to come out of the SE. It will pick up during the day and then become calm once again, toward sundown. So, a sitting hunter sets up accordingly. A walking hunter works into the wind or crosswind.

Deer tend to feed downwind. During the rut, that's does; bucks don't much bother with eating. A buck seeking out a doe in estrous is going to tend to work into the wind or crosswind. Generally, a scared "real" buck will run upwind and uphill.

So, if you've done your scouting, you know what the wind does and therefore where to set up to take advantage of that. That's one of the reasons that folks will fix two blinds in a well-travelled area, allowing them to be downwind, regardless.

Art

Obviously I knew the wind was was more important, but a Scent-lok jacket certainly won't hurt in case you are in an area where the wind is less predictable.

It won't hurt, but for the money, it won't make very much difference either. They certainly don't give those things away. I would spend my money on something that is going to keep me comfortable (warm, dry, etc.) all day.

I'm not meanin any harm by this at all, but I've spent my entire life huntin with no scent-covering clothes, no special detergents, no special soaps, nor had any need to go without a bath as some "hunters" would do. As Art pointed out, knowing how to read the wind is key.

We get a kick out of a friend of mine up in the southerntier of NY that opened the Caballa's catalog one day and ordered "one of everything" for deer huntin - both for bow and shotgun season. Not only does he take three days to get in the woods (need to cart deer stands, saws, packs, etc up onto the hill for him), he's also the one that never gets his buck. His father, who outfits himself with three 12ga sabots, a shotgun of some sort, a couple flannel shirts, and the pants he slept in the night before, gets the big buck every year, and then some, without every even climbin a tree.

Nothin beats a wet finger, and it's usually free - the only windbuck a person needs. Fancy clothes and accessories look nice in the catalogs and the merchant's pockets, but they don't help inexperience.

Course, that's just my $.02. A scope on a rifle doesn't mean the shot will hit the bullseye, if you know what I mean.;)

Have you ever looked through a cheaper than dirt catalog? Look for the surplus chem suits. they have the same charcole lineing at less than half the price
Cajun

Ok, you guys convinced me not to get one. I was a little reluctant to buy one because of the price, but I thought it would help. Oh well, now if the buck I'm stalking smells me it's your fault. :p Thanks for the advice.

there are many sources for new mil surp scent outfits. Cheap.

Cheaperthandirt, and Sportsmans guide come to mind.

Personally, I think it is just another gimmick, like camouflage outfits. Impresses hunters, and not animals.

Birds see colors. Deer and coyotes and such don't. Their world is varying shades of gray.

Camo is great, if you're hiding from people. Howsomever, as soon as you move, you stand out more than do folks wearing plain old dirt-colored clothing. By and large, avoid light colors and shiny fabric, and the World Is Good.

I've seen does walk right up to a guy wearing jeans and a Levi jacket; they were just wondering what was that new stump. Being still will do wonders, compared to worrying about what sort of clothes.

If you can "think like a rock", you'll have deer practically walking over you--if you've studied the wind.

A fair number of guys have either seen deer or killed deer, when their pants were down around their ankles. It was the first time all day they had been still and quiet. (And had known exactly what they were doing.)

:), Art

I use the scent eliminators on my long johns and the use a cover scent on my outerwhere.I also wash with scent free soap.Keep a small bottle of the cover scent in your pocket or pack.

Best thing I've ever seen work is non-movement & "working the wind."

I shoot elk/deer fairly regullarly - "bow-hunting with a rifle" (tm) - at 20 yards or so in dark CO timber.

Even better than that, we've had elk/deer/turkey walk right through our hunting camp while we've been sitting at the camp fire - in chairs & yakking it up. Tagged a couple while just having a rifle at-hand sitting next to a camp fire.

I've shot elk/deer, in the trees, while either smoking a cirgarette, or sitting next to a smallish fire - just to keep warm.

Critters can only smell scents that are blown to them by the winds. Wind not blowing towards them = they can't smell 'em any more than yer Aunt EllyMay in the next county - no matter the lack of her baths. ;)

That, & quit moving around so much! Critters spot movement - dead fast & quick as a ferret!

Spend all the money for scent-blocker clothing/techniques all you want, but tell you what, if you don't know how to hunt, you will never get any game.

We use "hunters" continually to push game towards us - they're nothing more than birddogs walking through the woods pushing game around & around.

BTW, these guys never see a single elk/deer ... all they do is move the game around so those of us who do know how to hunt score everytime .....

Put your hunting jacket, hat, pants etc in a garbage bag along with some fresh pine trimmed from a tree, and leave it for a day or so. The smell of pine will absorb into the clothing. Put them back in at the end of the day after making sure they're dry.

You can also make some cover scent with a bottle of vodka and some pine needles or acorns. First, take a swig of vodka to make sure it isn't spoiled. Next, pour some in a small glass jar, add pine needles or acorns, and put a LOOSE lid on it. Drink more vodka. You'll probably have to go for more vodka, because it'll take a few weeks to work, and you might as well do something while waiting.

Back