Scenario: What would you do? - II

Seeker

I was sitting the the lobby of a temp agency the other day (trying to find gainful employment,still) and had this scenario run through my mind:

The lobby is 12' x 8', the entrance is on one of the long walls, the wall with the door has 6 chairs against it and the other long wall has 4 chairs. Upon entering a person has to turn right and walk to the far short wall to talk to the receptionist. Across the lobby from the entrance, and out of view from the chairs opposite the entrance, is a door that goes into the office area

Imagine a person in jeans, t-shirt with open, untucked long sleeved shirt comes in entrance walks directly through lobby towards/into office area, like they are late getting back from lunch. You hear what sounds like several shots, some screams and the person who just entered leaves the office area and heads for the front door.

You have never been in this office before and are sitting by yourself in the lobby with you back to the wall that is shared with the office area. You are legally CCW.

What do you do?

Since I have absolutely no idea what is going on and am in no personal danger, stay alert and let they guy walk out the door. Get a good look at the guy, just in case he really did walk in and blow someone away. Since I'm not a LEO, I have no legal reason to do anything else.

Use your cell phone and call 9-1-1.

Pistols are a weapon of last resort (AKA Lethal Force) that don't realiably stop aggressive human activity. You will use your cell phone to contact the authorities and call for help far more than you'll ever really (statistically speaking) on your firearm.

And, if you're carrying a firearm, you should also carry a less-than-lethal force alternative (e.g., pepper spray).

If I just heard shots and he seems more interested in the door than in me, I'd be better off just letting him leave while getting a good description for the responding officers.

Another point to consider: You're carrying concealed and the police will be responding to a shots fired call. It would probably be a good idea to let the 911 operator know what you look like, what you're wearing and that you're a legally-armed citizen.

The delay isn't very long, about the equivalent of looking for a landline and using it. In rural areas like here, they all share the dipatch office.

I agree with everyone else. Since you don't know what happened and nobody is in any apparent danger at teh moment, call 911.

Back