scattergun for home defense

Dikyllis

Went to local gun shop today. They have a Winchester pump, 18 in. barrel, 8 shot capacity, has a pistol grip, I inquired about getting the gun with a buttstock instead of the pistol grip, $250 out the door. Anyway, I have an 870 Wingmaster, kinda long to swing around inside the house, so I'm thinking maybe the Winchester and 8 rounds of 00 buck would be good home defense rig. Whatchya'll think? How well would slugs shoot out of this rig? For defense, not deer! :)

You could get another barrel for your wingmaster for $150 or less. You could cut it down or get a short barrel to begin with. 5 rounds from a shotgun is a pretty good start at defending you home in my opinion.

I would not use slugs for home defense because of penetration concerns. Same for 00 buckshot. I use 1 1/8 oz. bird shot loads because I live in an apartment. Distances will be short and it won't go through a lot of walls hitting innocents. It will be very devastating at 7 yards and under. If I lived in a house I would choose no. 4 buckshot.

I've seen used 870 riot bbls for as little as $75 lately,and that may be a better deal than another shotgun.

Forget slugs for HD. Overpenetration is a real problem,and since at typical HD ranges the load hits as a solid mass anyway,a field or trap load lowers(but does not eliminate) overepenetration while still dumping a large amount of energy into the target.

This has been MUCH discussed here, a little research in the archives will turn up lots of good info...

Back