Scary Mossberg 44US Rifle

blainenay

Inactive
I have three Mossberg Model 44US rifles. Two function perfectly. The third fires when opening a cocked bolt.

None of the rifles have been modified. I have disassembled and cleaned the subject rifle and find that the bolt, safety, and trigger assembly look exactly like those on the two good rifles.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this rifle safe again?

Just guessing at this time

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this rifle safe again?
Might you be slamming the bolt too hard..... Just asking. Try going really slow and see what happens. If I recall correctly, don't these have adjustable triggers? I use to own one marked U.S. and it was a tack driver. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

"Might you be slamming the bolt too hard."

Nope. I don't slam bolts. The firing pin drops even when gently opening the bolt.

"...don't these have adjustable triggers?"

There is no adjustment.

"Most likely worn parts."

One would think so, but there is no discernible wear.

The last time I saw something like that I had to remove wood from the stock for clearance on two rifles. And then there is the Mauser, It is possible to set the safety, pull the trigger and then release the safety to get the firing pin to fall; on those rifles I have always found it impossible to set the safety in the fire configuration.

F. Guffey

I believe you are going to have to lower the cocking piece or raise the trigger.

F. Guffey

"...but there is no discernible wear..." Isn't something you'd be able to see.
I'm guessing the M44 is a cock on opening rifle. Very much guessing. Since the thing is going bang on opening, your sear or striker is likely worn. Mind you, the trigger is also adjustable and that might be too light.
This will help.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/mossberg_44us.pdf

Yes, T, it cocks on opening.

The trigger is NOT adjustable. According to havlinsales.com, most 44US rifles were not adjustable.

This afternoon, I swapped bolts between one of the good rifles with the malfunctioning one. The problem went away -- for now. That tells me that if anything is defective, it's the sear-engagement surface on the firing pin -- not the trigger. Havlin doesn't have them in stock and has no potential supplier for them.

I guess that, for now, my problem is solved.

Thanks to everyone for your tips.

Might you be slamming the bolt too hard.....

I don't advocate slamming the bolt, but if it's possible to get the firing pin to drop by manipulating the bolt in any way, there's something that needs to be fixed.

I'd suggest having a gunsmith check sear engagement.

Several things go wrong with the old Mossbergs that will give you the same symptoms. Worn trigger sear, worn striker sear, worn trigger pin, and oblonged trigger pin hole. Any or all of these will give you the issue you are talking about. Time for a visit to a gunsmith.

Trigger pull adjusting bracket pn#259470B
There's a hollow threaded adjustable cylinder with the trigger return spring in it.

Trigger pull adjusting bracket pn#259470B
There's a hollow threaded adjustable cylinder with the trigger return spring in it.
Again, none of the three 44US rifles in my safe have the trigger pull adjustment bracket, screws, plunger and spring. The non-adjustable trigger assembly was the most common configuration according to HavlinSales.com.

Back