Scandium 340PD Ammo Test

donspag

Inactive
I'm a PROUD owner of a S&W 340PD Scandium .357 who has gone through much testing of ammo for carry in the kicking beast.

Full power stuff from Federal and GA - too much blast and recoil, ripped the skin off the back of my finger and my elbow hurt for a week.

Medium velocity Rem Golden Sabers - Recoil bearable, bullets were being pulled due to the light weight of gun. Not enough to lockup cylinder till 8 recoil pulses with a one hand grip so probably OK but I just didn't like the Saber design of no cannalure.

ProLoad 125g Tactical Lite - less recoil than Sabers, Big Gold Dot HP, no bullet pulling and good expansion and penetration in my highly scientific testing (2-liter plastic water filled coke bottles):

Cloth consisted of 1 layer of leather and 2 layers of denim:
3rd means bullet was retrieved in the 3rd water bottle:

No cloth Cloth
Saber Great expansion in 4rth Not great exp. 4rth
ProLoad Great exp. in 3rd Great exp. in 4rth
GA 38 +p GD No expansion 4rth
Fed Nyclad
38 158g HP No expansion 4rth

Kahr P9
Speer 124 +P GD Great exp. in 3rd Good exp. in 3rd

I trust the ProLoads

I haven't measured the resulting diameter of the retrieved bullets. I've got them marked in individual baggies laid out on a table for comparison. Gold dots are picture perfect - 6 petals.
Sabers through no cloth look real good and have these nasty sharp edges on the folded back jacket petals.

A Saber for the first shot followed by the Proloads would be good.

Don

Believe it or not, the previous post was designed as a table but posted hardly readable.

Here is what I found:

Proloads did 3 bottles with and without shooting through the 1 layer of leather and 2 layers of denim with great expansion.

The Sabers did 4 bottles in both scenarios with less than perfect expansion through the cloth.

38s - no expansion, good penetration.

Don

Donspag: I have an all-steel .357 mag that weighs in at a hefty 32 oz. I shoot Georgia Arms 125 gr JHP's that go down-range at 1,400 fps. I mean it's HOT stuff and gives a stiff kick, even with my molded rubber grips. I LOVE shooting the .357 and am not recoil sensitive......still cannot imagine pulling the trigger on one of these rounds in a gun that weighs just 13 ounces.

Be interesting to watch somebody shoot full power .357mag through one of those pricey little things.

Like maby 125gr at 1,800fps
Or 170 gr at bout 1,400fps.
Or 200gr at bout 1,300fps.

All three well within the design parameters of the cartridge.

Sam

Sam,
My 27 oz snubbie stings my hand after a while with "hot" mag loads...I cannot imagine what it would be like in a 340/360 or
just for giggles..Maybe my next gun...a 415 Ti Taurus 41 mag...
Thats gotta hurt

Shoot well

22lovr,
Sounds like you have a Smith 60 or 640.

The GA - Geaorgia Arms 125g JHP at 1400fps is the hottest round I ever shot in the 340PD and I only shot 3. It is the one that takes the skin off the back of your finger. I didn't have the courage to light up one of the Georgia arms DearStoppers - 158g GD at 1450fps.

Maybe we can get C.R.Sam to shoot some for us and his doctor can give us the results
;)

I just wanted a lite j-frame with more punch than a 38 +p. Never intended on shooting full power 357 stuff. I also have a 640, 60, 66 and two 686 Smith 357s. I shoot the full power stuff in the 686's.

Don

Neither myself nor my doctor wants me to go shootin FULL strength .357mags out of light weight guns.

That's food for 27s, 28s and the big Rugers.

Sam

C.R., thought that might get to you - kidding of course. I shot 50 of the DeerStoppers at a pin match once in about 45 min in a 6" 686 and it wasn't to bad, but that is a pretty heavy gun.

I cringe thinking about a 200g running at 1300 in the Scandium gun.

later

Don

Not a flame per se, but what good is the beast if you can't fire the ammo it was supposedly designed for??? My wife has a first generation (aluminum frame) Taurus M85UL that is rated for .38SPL +P. The recoil from it made my wrist hurt for several hours. I can imagine what full house mag loads must feel like through this monster!!! :eek:

denfoote, You have a point - sort of.

The beast can be fired with full house ammo if the shooter has a the wrist and arm for it.

Even with the reduced power 357 fodder it has a more power than a 38 +p, is quite managable (by me anyway) and weighs only 12ozs making it a dream to carry when I can't carry one of my BIG HEAVY GUNS.

I wouldn't recomend it for someone with little shooting experience, osteoperosis, a weak wrist or arm, or who is recoil sensitive.

I've seen many posts at different forums of people with the Scandium guns carrying 38 +p in them because of the recoil. Now, that is a waist.

Later

Don

I found 158 gr jacket softpoint by Federal works well in mine. Sellier & Bellot cases jam I guess from soft brass. When I shoot more types I can report but right now the Federal is working.

BigG, Are you talking about a FED 158g .357 mag jacketed softpoint?

How's the felt recoil?

I've fired some PMC 150g JHP. They were a little rough.
Georgia Arms 125g JHP - Real rough
Fed 130 PD Hydra-Shoks - about the same as the PMC
Rem 125g Golden Sabers - less than the PMC
Proload 125g Gold-Dots - little less than the Sabers

Loading a Saber as the first shot followed by Proloads

Don

Yes, Federal 357 Magnum 158 JSP. Felt recoil is stout but manageable. Best to fire DA as you have a better grip on the weapon. I know your 340 is DAO but I have a 360 which is the Chief's Special with hammer.

Back