SBS options

TruthTellers

I've always thought that the shortest shotgun one can have is the best for home defense. Recently, there was a video about a side by side break open shotgun with barrels that were cut down to 3 inches. Personally, I would never consider such a shotgun a useful defense gun and a waste of a $200 tax stamp.

But, at the end of the video, the guy put a 12 inch barrel onto the frame and it clicked: you could put ANY length of barrels onto the frame because the gun is already a SBS.

I like such versatility. I'd probably want a 12 inch barrel on a SBS, but then a regular length barrel like 20 or 26 inches.

So, with that known, who are some side by side shotgun manufacturers who offer spare barrels? The shotgun used in the video happened to be a Stoeger Coach Gun. I have no experience with Stoeger, are they any good?

Also, given the concept, would any pump shotguns be a good candidate for a tactical/versatile SBS? I would imagine that a pump gun with a 14 inch barrel would only be able to hold five in the tube, but a 20 inch barrel pump can hold up to eight. Would there be a way to switch between the different barrels and put an extension on the mag tube?

There are extended mag tubes for the 870 and it can swap barrels.
The 500 can swap barrels but the mag tube is limited because the magazine lug is on the barrel. You would need to match the barrel with the mag tube.

So, the 870's lug isn't located on the barrel then?

As for the Mossberg 500 and 590's, they don't have extended mag tubes available that the barrel lug would work with?

EDIT: Also, why couldn't I just remove the 5 round mag tube on a Mossberg and replace it entirely with an 8 round tube and buy the appropriate longer barrel for that?

Last edited:
Stoegers are crap; secondly, extra barrels need to be fitted and that would cost more than the gun

This is not the same as changing barrels on a pump gun

You could get a stamp on ome of those new mossberg shorties, 5 shot 14" barrel. Comes with a short grip, whem the stamp shows up put a but stock on?

The lug on the 500 has a captured bolt that screws into the end of the mag tube. If you got a longer or shorter mag tube you would need a new barrel to make it fit. The mag tube retains the barrel on the 500.

The lug on the 500 has a captured bolt that screws into the end of the mag tube. If you got a longer or shorter mag tube you would need a new barrel to make it fit. The mag tube retains the barrel on the 500.
If getting another, shorter mag tube is required to work with a shorter 14 inch barrel, fine.

My ideal situation is to buy a 20 inch 500/590 with an 8 rd tube, do the tax stamp and buy another barrel that's meant for the 5 rd tubes, chop it down as short as possible without touching the lug, and then buying a 5 rd tube.

My 20" Mossberg 500 ATP-8 came with a 7 round mag. The 18" Mossberg came with a 5 round mag. I got lucky and found a hunting barrel made for the ATP-8 but I have yet to find a rifled slug barrel for it. The shorter mag has many barrels made for it. I doubt you will be able to find a barrel shorter than 20" to fit the long mag. Good luck.

Better give some thought to how you'll handle the recoil, muzzle blast, and noise. In actual use, you may not have the opportunity to put on ear defenders, face shield, and grippy gloves.

If you don't mind the stamp costs, get the Serbu; otherwise the non-stamp 14" with birdshead grips from Remington and Mossberg might do

Jackson Hammersmith Since the Mossberg Shockwave comes from the factory as a "Firearm", can it still be Form 1'd into an SBS? Or does it have to start life as a "Shotgun"?
Form 1+ $200 tax and it can become an SBS. It could also be made into an AOW for $200 but you cannot put a stock on an AOW without paying another $200 for an SBS.

I have a 14" 590a1 SBS and a Serbu SS.

I can't speak for the idea of changing barrels. I have no desire to do such a thing. For real world house navigation and shooting, the fixed stock and surefire forend on my Mossberg is the cat's whiskers.

The 7" barrel of the super shorty is fun but otherwise useless.

Back