SBR'd Glock configured as a pistol?

Beretta686

Let's say I have a Glock that's SBR's so I can mount one of those Israeli shoulder stocks to it.

If I have it configured as a pistol without the stock, is it still an SBR for the purposes of interstate travel and needing to file paperwork with the ATF? Also could you take it configured as a pistol into a state that doesn't allow SBRs?

I guess what I'm asking is, once an SBR is it always an SBR, or is an SBR only when it's configured as an SBR?

Granted if it's configured as a pistol, nobody will ask if it's a SBR, but I'm just curious.

I'm not in an SBR state, so I'm not as familiar with them as many other people here, but I'm pretty certain once you register it as an SBR then it's an SBR no matter what you do with the stock.

Beretta686 said:
Granted if it's configured as a pistol, nobody will ask if it's a SBR, but I'm just curious.
Sure, that's probably true, but what if you take the gun (without the stock) to a non-SBR state and end up using it to defend yourself? Or it's stolen and recovered by police? At that point they're going to figure it out one way or another. And then you have problems. I know it's a dumb technicality and you're not hurting anyone by breaking a law like that, but it's still a very bad idea.

So I just talked to a friend who says I'm wrong; the BATFE changed its mind on this issue relatively recently. He says that now if you don't have a registered SBR actually configured as an SBR the BATFE doesn't consider it one. But he said you still have to fill out a Form 20 if you're taking to another state, just like if it was configured as an SBR. Maybe someone who knows more than I do about this can tell us if my buddy is correct.

I found some info on SBRs mostly about the barrels.

In short, you have a rifle, do your due diligence and legally convert it to an SBR, Then you have another Barrel that is more then 16" and want to switch it out say to go hunting. You swap the Barrels no problem, the gun is not longer an SBR except.. Must remember that as long as you maintain the shorter barrel you still possess an SBR and still need to comply with any continued requirements of owning an SBR. But yes, you can switch the barrels back and forth.

The rules still are a little different between pistols and rifles so this isn't the real answer you need.

If you have all the parts to assemble an SBR, then you follow all the SBR rules.

If you want to take it out of state into a state that doesn't allow for SBR's then you put it in a legal configuration, and leave the parts that would make it a NFA firearm home in the safe.

You now treat that firearm like a standard pistol and all standard rules apply.

So your Glock without the stock, is just a pistol. Doesn't matter if it's on the NFA registry or not. If you don't have the stock with you, then it's just a pistol. Treat it as such.

You don't need a 5320.20 to take it out of state if it's in a standard configuration. In fact, if you wanted to take it into a state that doesn't allow SBR's you COULDN'T get a 5320.20 approved.

Don't take my word for it. Write the ATF and ask them. They'll send you a polite letter with the 2011-4 letter attached.

Good luck.

Back