SBR question..

GA Limited GM

If you were to SBR a weapon and then later change it back to original form, could it be sold without a transfer?

Im thinking not....

(Not a lawyer) I believe you have to inform ATF that you have modified the weapon and request that it be removed from the registry. After that, it's not subject to the NFA.

Others may know more than I.

GA Limited GM If you were to SBR a weapon and then later change it back to original form, could it be sold without a transfer?

Not until ATF gives the okay. You can request that ATF remove the firearm from the registry. You will lose the tax you paid.

If you decide to SBR it again you have to pay the tax again.

Also if you Form 1'd the gun, your supposed to engrave it with your data so the weapon probably wouldn't fetch as much as a "normal" weapon while trying to sell it.

I was just tossing over a couple of scenarios where it seemed it would become a head ache, such as if I died could my wife make them legal without tax stamp issues? Things like that.

People do this more often than you think. Say the seller has a SBR gun in FL for 1200.00. It will take (1600.00) 2 tax stamps to sell it to a buyer in any other state. A buyer in another state might think it's worth 1200 + 1 stamp, but not 1200.00 + 2 stamps. The seller can remove it from the registry and sell it as a normal gun. If the seller marked his gun the old way" (non visible, under the handgards, under a rail, etc), it may be a little more marketable for the new buyer as only really he would know abt that marking.. The buyer can purchase it for 1200.00+ 15.00 shipping, mark it, stamp it and have it for 1435.00, etc. He can save 150.00+ and the rifle would be visibly marked w/his info.

All the above is on a 1200.00 gun. If it's a 800.00 SBR AR15, then the 150.00 savings would be more significant to the buyer.

The timeline is abt the same as well, plus the buyer gets the gun in his possession while the form 1 is processing.

scottMO

People do this more often than you think. Say the seller has a SBR gun in FL for 1200.00. It will take (1600.00) 2 tax stamps to sell it to a buyer in any other state. A buyer in another state might think it's worth 1200 + 1 stamp, but not 1200.00 + 2 stamps. The seller can remove it from the registry and sell it as a normal gun. If the seller marked his gun the old way" (non visible, under the handgards, under a rail, etc), it may be a little more marketable for the new buyer as only really he would know abt that marking.. The buyer can purchase it for 1200.00+ 15.00 shipping, mark it, stamp it and have it for 1435.00, etc. He can save 150.00+ and the rifle would be visibly marked w/his info.

All the above is on a 1200.00 gun. If it's a 800.00 SBR AR15, then the 150.00 savings would be more significant to the buyer.

The timeline is abt the same as well, plus the buyer gets the gun in his possession while the form 1 is processing.

scottMO

What happens with the SBR upper during all of this? I'd be a bit worried about constructive possession at some point...

Back