SBR question

Dustin0

I was thinking of getting an AR15 Pistol and putting a 6 position stock on it. I am in Kentucky so there no state or local problems. Do I need to fill out form 4 for SBR and can this be done? Just wanting to know if this can be done legally?

Kentucky is still a state under the regulation of the Federal government, so you still need to fill out the proper ATF forms, and register the gun. States can make more restrictive laws, but cannot exempt citizens from federal regulation.

I guess I didnt work that right. I was wanting to know what in need to do so that its legal under the Federal laws.

So if I have this right I buy this pistol the fill out form 1 pay the tax stamp the when I get everything back approved. I can install the stock. Correct ?

Yep. However, to be in possession of the stock and the pistol without the form 1 at the same time could get you in trouble. Possessive construction is what they call it.

Yep. However, to be in possession of the stock and the pistol without the form 1 at the same time could get you in trouble. Possessive construction is what they call it.

Maybe if all you owned was an AR pistol and a stock.

I wouldn't worry if you have a safe with a couple regular AR rifles and spare buttstocks (who doesn't have spare parts for their guns?)......and an AR pistol.

I understand the whole "possessive construction" and "intent" matters.....but like I said, I would think that would only apply if you just had an AR pistol and just a random AR stock laying around (with no other guns for it to legally be installed on).

Then again, I'm no lawyer, and I didn't stay a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Back