SBR Change of Lower??

nolacop

Inactive
I currently have a RRA lower on my registered SBR. I wish to replace the RRA lower with a LMT lower with the same 10.5 upper in which i have in place now. What do i have to do to trasnfer lowers legally with the ATF. Is there a particular form in which solves this problem. Do i have to go through the pain of having a chief law enf officer signing off on it again? Thanks

Your lower IS the registered SBR no matter what upper you have installed. Once an SBR, always an SBR, unless you write the ATF and inform them that the SBR has been returned permanently to non-SBR status (and then you can't recoup your $200 stamp). You can't migrate the SBR designation to another lower. You can only SBR another lower with another Form1, thus and therefore you would have 2 SBR's.

Remember it is a tax not a license, thus you can't "transfer" the tax anymore than you could transfer sales tax from one item to another.

Your lower IS the registered SBR no matter what upper you have installed. Once an SBR, always an SBR, unless you write the ATF and inform them that the SBR has been returned permanently to non-SBR status (and then you can't recoup your $200 stamp). You can't migrate the SBR designation to another lower. You can only SBR another lower with another Form1, thus and therefore you would have 2 SBR's

Actually you can restamp the reciever with the same number, or in some cases transfer a new number tax free. You must, of course destroy the old one. It takes an approved Form 5. A friend of mine had a registered Colt lower that kept eating out the trigger pin hole to the point of malfunction. He went through the above process.

Back