Sawed Off Loads

Char181

Inactive
I am building a 13" barrel 20 ga 2-3/4" double barrel shotgun. Any safety concerns with shooting slugs or #3 buck in the shotgun?

What specific safety concerns are you having? I'm no expert on SBSs and AOWs, but I've shot plenty of different loads out of a 7.5" barreled 12 ga. Serbu Super Shorty AOW; buckshot and slugs were just fine (though we were using the low-recoil loads). Sure, you get a huge fireball and it's a little painful to shoot (especially with slugs), but those guns are normal shotgun designs just with shorter barrels and actions.

I have shot 20 and 12 gauge buckshot through Serbu Super Shortys with 7.5" barrels with no problems.

What's the muzzle blast from those Subaru Shorties? I've shot one with birdshot and it was impressive, but never buck or slugs.

I've only shot 2 3/4" low-recoil 00 buck and slugs through a 12 ga. Mossberg 500 Super Shorty. The muzzle blast was a foot-wide ball of fire for each load if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all the replies. You have answered my concerns completely. Seems there will be no safety concerns, only more recoil and larger fireball. I'll start with light bird shot loads and work my way up to buckshot and possibly a slug. Yes this is a double barrel 2-3/4 inch 20 gauge with stamp from BATF. Thanks for all the replies.

A friend of mine has a SBS like the one the OP is describing. I never had any trouble shooting full power loads from the hip with a two handed grip.

Now with a one handed grip the gun would twist in the shooter's hand and the lever to open the action would come back and bite the web of the shooter's hand.

Back