Saw some neat old firearms today

jadams951

Today I was over visiting my parents and my dad pulled out two pistols that was passed down to him. I've never seen either of them before and they were neat. One day they will be mine to keep in the family. One was a Colt Peacemaker in 45 in almost mint condition with ivory grips. I think it's dated somewhere around the later 1800's. If I'm not mistaken ivory can't even be brought into the country anymore. The second one was a 38 revolver(forget make but I believe it was S&W) dated around 1920's. My dad said something about five screw or screws. I wished I wasn't partially occupied by the mom talking so I could have got all the neat information. Anyway, I don't know why I posted this but I like old firearms and the history behind him.

Sounds like a wonderful family legacy, that I hope you must wait for many years to inherit. Inheritance is the hardest way to acquire a gun.

I'm moving this to the Handguns: Revolvers forum, since this post regards 2 classic revolvers.

L.P.

And may your grandchildren be able to appreciate them too. Whether the Colt is an original is a moot point. They are FAMILY guns.

Five screw generaly refers to S&W.

May you and yours keep the faith, forever gunners.

sam

a peacemaker would definitely be a nice peice of history to own. my dad just got a few guns back from his brother that was keeping them for him. one of them was a double barrel 12 guage shotgun dated 1909. not sure on the make but it was made in belgium. when it gets handed down to me, i'll make sure it stays in the family for a long time to come. it's not in mint condition though.

The S&W has some value, but an original 1st generation Colt SAA in almost mint condition is big bucks, something on the order of $10 k or more. I urge you to have both guns checked carefully or appraised by a knowledgeable person who can be trusted. Be careful of the "they aren't worth much, but I would like to buy them" sort of offer.

Jim

It's nice to know that they might have some monetary value but there's no way I could sell them after I get them one day(which I'm in no hurry to get an inheritance). They are something that will be kept in the family. I've still got a mint condition Winchester 1300 20 guage, which was the first firearm I was given as a kid by my grandfather before he died. I know that's not worth much but never fired and already about 16 or 17 years old. To me it's just something with memories!!!

Back