Saw Bob Smith - pro-gun Republican - on TV last night

Mikey

Mr. Bob Smith was on a news/talk show (can't remember which) last night talking and answering questions about his bid for the Presidency.

This guy impressed me with his no-apology support for the Second Amendment, gun owners, gun shows etc. He all but bashed his fellow Republicans for turning tail during the current rounds of "lets get the law abiding gun owners" being prosecuted in Congress.

He even hinted at a third party run if the Republicans didn't start seriously supporting the party platform which includes opposition to further gun control and reduction of the current restrictions.

Does this guy have a chance? This is the first time I heard him speak and he sounded almost like a Libertarian! I think I would vote for him on RKBA alone.

Mikey

Smith was on the Liddy show 2 weeks ago as well.... his talk was very much like your description.
Besides his pro-gun stance and punish existing criminals, his comments about the Rep party echoed a lot of what has been said here on the forums...that basically Republicans are "faux Democrats".

As to whether he has a chance in his Presidential bid....I really doubt it....he is a poster boy for too many of the wedge issues that divide people.
1) He is "too" Christian
2) Extremely anti-abortion
3) Basically (my impression) he is an anathema to what Big gov't is and what most people seem to want from gov't.

That said, I would vote for him, but he doesn't have a chance. Most folks do not understand how things are and react knee-jerk. Example: he is anti-abortion, that doesn't mean he could do anything about it...abortion is so entrenched and intertwined with Civil rights, that it would take years and years of concerted effort by lots of politicos to help solve the problem.
As Pres. all he could do about abortion would be to veto new bills that increase federal spending on it....the Pres. can't overturn existing legislation; or appoint folks who would decrease abortion spending from various Depts.
Same with his Christianity....it will be seen as "oppressive". (As an aside I'm very interested in seeing how Christianity will fly now that Al Gore has co-opted it ;))

Jimmy Carter was deeply Christian, and there was no oppressiveness...but I guess its ok for a Democrat. Personally, I only take note of a candidate's religion as a possible indicator of his moral compass. If his religion is unstated, I look for other indications. I wouldn't vote for a person because they are Christian, nor would I not vote for a person because they were or were not Christian.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I got a call the other day from Smith's office, talked to one of his reps, and listened to about a six minute recorded speech from Smith. He very clearly states that he is 100% pro gun. He is also asking 1 million gun owners for donations to his campaign. Donations go through "Sportsmen for Smith." If anyone wants more information on how to contact that group, let me know.

I got a call the other day from Smith's office, talked to one of his reps, and listened to about a six minute recorded speech from Smith. He very clearly states that he is 100% pro gun. He is also asking 1 million gun owners for donations to his campaign. Donations go through "Sportsmen for Smith." If anyone wants more information on how to contact that group, let me know.

DC,
Your 1,2,3 description also describes Dr. Alan Keyes. He recently directed Christians to defy the courts - "pray when and where you want to". Hmm. Civil disobedience rumblings increase....

Back