Saw a model 19 nickel today...

MR.G

I looked at a s&w model 19 nickel today at a local shop. It is a 1980, and in very good condition. Been shot very little. The price was $329.00. Almost bought it, but I have heard of some problems with the nickel chipping on some s&w guns. I would appreciate any comments on the durability of the nickel finish on a .357. Also on the asking price.
thanks,
MR.G

I paid $230.00 NIB for mine , a 6 " barrel, back in 1978 or thereabouts. A year and a half ago I bought one used, but fired very little for $295.00. w/ a 4" barrel. I've run quite a bit of .38 specials and a decent number of full magnums, both factory and handloads through the 6" over the years. The plating is worn off of the chamber face, but otherwise the rest of the gun is fine. Just remember to never use Hoppes #9 on a nickle finish since it will turn it yellow, and you'll be fine. Yes, the nickle will wear off on the blast areas like the chamber face, forcing cone area and top strap. *shrug* It's all a part of owning a nickle finish.

$329.00 is a bit on the high side for a 4" barrel, but not too bad for a nice 6". The stocks on my nickle 19's seem to be a little higher quality than the ones on my blue finished ones too. It might be coincidence, but both my nickle finished ones have beautiful light walnut Target stocks. If it were me, and if was a really nice one, I'd offer them $275. for it and see if they bite. If not, I'd go as high as $300. A lot depends on the area your in. Around here in NE Ohio, nickle 19's command a premium, but tend to sit on the shelf a long time. If you catch the dealer just right, they usually will take a slimmer deal.

Check the top strap above the forcing cone, the forcing cone, the chamber face and the recoil shield. Flakes on the chamber face and the top strap usually mean a lot of ammo has gone through it. A noticeable cut in the top strap, and/or a brass tinge to the color of the recoil shield areond the firing pin hole can mean it's seen a fair amount of magnum rounds. Do a search for Jim March as a user name, and how to buy a used revolver as the search words for Ji'm excellent used revolver advice for general guidelines. HTH.

I have a number of S&W nickel revolvers and have had no problem. I have them in 357-41-44. I am always on the lookout for more. I paid $300 for my last nickel 19.

Back