Saving to buy my first rifle would really like a Henry but unsure of caliber?

Hello people of TheFiringLine,

I turned 18 in November and am saving to buy my first rifle that wasn't a gift from my father. I have been debating between the Henry 30-30 with a brass receiver and octagon barrel, or the Henry Big Boy in either .44 magnum or 45 Colt. And I cannot for the life of me reach a decision, I don't see myself doing much hunting probably just a deer hunt every other year or so and a random bear hunt, mainly just target shooting, any recommendation on any other rifle would be greatly appreciated, I do already have a Marlin 336 in 30-30

Last edited:
I could never part with my .357mag lever. put's a smile on my face evrytie. accurate, llight and quiet. 38spl ammo is cheap ad plentiful and really cheap to reload. 357 can get pretty powerful out of a rifle length barrel.

if you are stuck on your chosen calibers, I would want a 45colt, but only if I reloaded. 45colt is insanely versatile. BUT the 44mag allows shooting for 44spl, no cheaper option for 45colt. so if you don't reload then I guess 44mag might be the winner

I would avoid doubling up on the .30-30 if I were you. I know the guns are different and there's nothing wrong with two guns in the same caliber; I just would prefer some variety.

Some people might suggest mixing it up with a bolt action. Something like a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 would have similar range as a .30-30 and also has a sort of classic traditional look (if that's what you're into). It's not the ultimate hunting gun, but it has a reputation for being well made and just fun to shoot. Priced in the same ballpark as the Henrys probably. Having said that, if you want to stick with lever guns, I wouldn't blame you.

Like skizzums, I have a .357 lever gun that I enjoy and it's relatively cheap to shoot. But a .44 or .45 Colt would be fun for making big holes in things and knocking around close range targets.

Last edited:
I would vote 44mag as well.

The next rifle I pursue will be a new Winchester m92 Short Rifle in 44mag. I think that with a 20"bbl, the 44mag would make one heck of a 100yd and under deer rifle.

I do like the Henry's. My father has a Henry 30-30 Brass and a Golden Boy youth model. Both are very smooth, good shooters, and have the classic good looks of bright brass and octagon barrels. Only drawback I see, (if you might call it that) is that the Henry's are quite heavy for a lever rifle compared to most. Some people find that trait desirable, others do not. But it is worth noting.

Have you handled or fired one by any chance?

I just bought a 22lr Henry this weekend and while I was shopping around, I handled some of the Henry Big Boy rifles.

The local gun store had one of those new .44 mag Big Boy Steel models with the round barrels and checked stocks. My take was that it was a better rifle than the Big Boy Brass model of the same caliber (which they also had). With the steel receiver and round barrel, it weighed noticeably less than the brass /octagon barrel model. The model number is H012, I strongly suggest getting a hold of one to check out.

They also had some Rossi 92 rifles there (.357, 45LC, 44 mag.. round and octagon barrels). I tried a few of them out as well and thought the Henry beat them out, as far as over-all finish and operation (much smoother). The Henry BB steel was a little heavier than the Rossi round barrel models and about the same weight as the Rossi octagon barrel models. The Henry BB brass model was heavier than all of the above.

Check one out if you can, I liked it a lot, but couldn't justify buying it for putting holes in paper and plinking only, hence why I bought a 22lr instead.

I have not gotten the chance to handle a Henry yet, last one the local gun shop had sold that same day, I just caught a glimpse of it when I was walking out with my dad that was when I was 16, sorry I haven't responded till now.

I would avoid hand gun calibers because you might have issues with getting ammunition. Being under 21 you can't buy handgun ammunition, so if the guy at the counter is a bimbo your out of luck....this means no Walmart stuff

I love .45 Colt lever guns

That said, you really can't get great performance out of factory loads for the most part. If you reload then the .45 is a great option. If you don't have the time then I think the .357 might give the most versatility.

Oliver Winchester quit using brass receivers in the 19th Century for a reason. Not strong enough.
Up here, you won't find .45 Colt ammo or brass in smaller places. You will find .44 Mag. A .44 Mag can be loaded to .44 Special velocities for target shooting.

I have many rifles. Each has a purpose. Some for distance, some for bush and some to plink. Oh, some for competition.

My first rifle was an SKS back when they were cheap. I like it because it was similar to me in feel to the duty rifles we used and it was cheap to shoot for practice.

If you want a plinker get something you can afford to shoot.

To me a firearm is such a personal purchase and with the prices now, do your research. There is nothing wrong with a Henry rifle. If you like lever guns, go for it.

As for caliber, it too is a personal thing. For me if it doesn't make a giant boom I don't get a smile on my face. For that reason my next lever gun will be 45-70.

So, I would say get a caliber you can afford to shoot and that makes you happy. For me my second rifle was a 44 mag model 94. To this day it still makes me smile. I bought it way before you were born.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Mel

I have a friend that had some bad luck with a new Henry 30-30 (blued steel frame). He sent it back to the factory and they said it was ok, but it still causes problems. Every time I have seen that gun it has been jamming, not ejecting, and generally causing problems. That being said he is a huge Henry fan and has two others in .357 mag and 45LC that he absolutely loves and gets meat with. He might have just got an unlucky bad one with the 30-30.

I'm not a fan of the Henry rifles. I don't hate them. Their 30-30 is mostly a copy of the 336 but without a loading gate. Why pay more for a cheaper feeling copy without a loading gate when you can get an actual Marlin with a loading gate.

Also for around the same price or maybe even cheaper you might find a Marlin 1894 in 44mag, .357mag, or 45LC. I love the Marlin 1894.

Also, you might consider a Uberti copy of a 73 in 45LC, (maybe for a good price lightly used) they're a lot of fun, or a Rossi copy of a 92 in 44mag, 45LC, or .357 mag (they are about $400-$525 range and better in my opinion than a Henry).

Why not a good bolt gun? The Zastava Mini-Mauser would be a great choice. In 7.62x39 or .223 Rem. Both are more common and more accurate for target shooting than a .45LC or .30-30 or .44 Mag. Just putting this out there.

I gave you some lever gun suggestions ( I love lever guns too).

But, if you aren't set on a lever gun, I agree with Mr. Mosin Marauder's suggestion. I just recently got an accurate Zastava mini-mauser in .22 Hornet (don't laugh at the cartridge yet) for about $420. .22 Hornet might be a little light for deer, but it would do fine in a survival situation; and besides you said you already had a 30-30. .22 hornet would be great for coyotes out west, pigs back east. Squirrels, groundhogs, badgers, fox's, and deer/cougars if you absolutely had too. It has barely more recoil than a .22lr, ammunition is cheap online, and it is probably the cheapest re-loaders cartridge. Plus you can reload it to almost a .22lr with cast bullets.

Also, the .223 Zastava mini-mauser would probably be good too and .223 ammo is everywhere.

Not knockin' Henrys (people love them, justifiably so), and people love lever-actions, and people love their pistol-caliber carbines.....they have their purpose.

But please.....try hard to broaden your horizons. Here's a vote for a quality turn-bolt in an intermediate rifle caliber. That CZ in 7.62 x 39 sounds good....also the. 22 Hornet suggestion.

If it's more for paper I would go .357 or .44 they will both take down a deer if need be so the only real issue would be if you are recoil sensitive but then again nothing wrong with the 30-30 either,if ammo cost is any concern then look and see witch one you can afford to shoot and have fun with it rather then worrying about cost of ammo,30-30 will more then likely be the cheapest with 38spl/357 right behind and 44 being the most.
The only Henry I own is a 22mag all my other lever guns are Marlin or Marlin/Rem and I have a BLR in 30-06 so I can't say how good the Henry will be but they sell a lot of them.

Go whichever way you want, but the brass alloy that Henry uses today is miles ahead of what was used in the original Henrys as far as strength goes.
I wouldn't let strength be a deciding concern.
Denis

Back