Savat' loads

Ok, correct me if I am wrong but are savat' loads the ones that allow a 22/223 or any other smaller round to be fired from say a 3o8 or 300 mag or 3006? Using a small plastic sheath? If so where could one go about obtaining these rounds and how much do they cost?

The correct terminology is sabot (pronounced sab-OH). Yes, it is a larger "carrier" for a sub-caliber (respective to bore) projectile, which is usually designed to be separated (and discarded) in-flight, after exiting the bore.

Sabot projectiles are available as preloaded cartrides (Remington's .30-30 Accelerator, various slug shotgun cartridges & many military munitions). Black powder shooters are perhaps the greatest users of the sabot, as it allows the use of high-tech bullets in a low-tech muzzle-loading firearm. There are also available, in bulk, .50 & .30 caliber plastic sabots, in which you place your own preferred .30 & .224 caliber projectiles, respectively. These latter are ideal for reloaders.

Actually, today I was pondering the idea of using a .50-140 Sharps to launch a 50-cal sabot that contained a .30-cal sabot that in turn carried a 80+ grain .224 projectile.

Hmmm... might be amusing, or just plain disappointing... If anybody out there beats me to the realization of this project, I'd be very interested in knowing about any extremes of variance introduced by the multiple sabot separations, or if only the projectile separates from the inner sabot.

I've seen bulk packaged (500-1000) sabots available thru Shotgun News and The Gunlist, in the ammunition components classifieds of both. (note: the former may have some listings online at shotgunnews.com, but I've found the online listings are not as comprehensive as the 3x/month paper publication) A quick check of Midway and Dillion catalogs failed to yield any ad for same.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited November 11, 1999).]

do you by chance know where I could get ahold of any sabot rounds or "accelerators"?? It would be nice to be able to shoot the 308 with a less expensive/lighter volocity varmit round.

Back