Savage, Winchester, or Remington?

RPM

I'm in the market for a bolt action rifle in .308. the rifle will be used for deer hunting(for which i currently use a 30-30), target, shooting, and maybe some casual "plinking." I have shot all three of these rifles, and I really didn't notice that much of a difference. I shot within about 1" with all of them, and they all functioned fine. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing here, but they all seemed pretty much the same to me. theyre all the same basic design, they all shot fairly well, so whats the difference? I was just wondering if any of you could give me some imput as to which brand I should go with. Reliability, etc?

------------------
If man wore black feathers and flew, few would be clever enough to be crows"
-Henry Ward Beecher

Go with Rem 700 more people work these than all the others, unless you have a problem with the extractor which is a joke compared to mauser style CLAW. I hear a lot of talk about this but the rem seems to be fine with the small metal extractor and there are smiths that will install SAKO style extractor very reasonably. All this extractor talk in just me nitpicking most people never realize the differences between the two and are plenty happy with stock gun.

Well, its just my personal preference, but I'd buy a savage over the other two makes because its cheaper and shoots just as well (if not s kosh better) I get half inch groups out of my savage 116 in 30-06 ;). But really, you can get a stainless savage 116 short action for $50-100 cheaper than a remmington or winchester or ruger if you shop smart. The triggers on savage rifle tend to be heavy (as is true with most new rifles these days) but you can guarantee under 1 inch groups.

Remmington makes a fine rifle and there is less "slop" (side to side up and down movement) in the bolt than on a savage when you cycle the action. Remmington's open sights are excellent if you don't plan to scope the rifle. Remmington also still makes the "carbine" length model 7 which is very handy in the brush.

Winchester (some but not all of them) has a mauser style action which snaps the cartridge into the bolt face and CONTROLS the feed into the breech. In this way you cannot stove pipe 2 cartridges into the breech like you can on "pusher" acions on the savage and remmington. If you buy a winchester make sure it has "controlled round feeding" Its usually easy to tell as the long mauser style locking lug rides down the right side of the bolt. Winchesters also have 3 position safties which is a nice feature.

I should mention Ruger here too, because they make the model 77 "international " in 308 full a full length mannlicher stock that is gorgeous and lightwieght (i think is has a 20 inch barrel). Rugers also use "pusher" actions in their model 77 rifles. The ruger has the MOST "bolt slop" of all the above rifles, but also one of the better triggers. Rugers are usually reasonably priced as well.

Really if you shoot them all equally well... go to the shop and see which one "fits" you the best. Take a long hard look at fit and finish, ergonomics and handling, and of course price.

For my money that's been the savage , but for yours it may be another make.

my two cents,

Dr.Rob

oberkommando is right. It's all nitpicking.

Everyone has subtle preferences in this area. I'm voting for the Winchester 70 today. (Although I'd die for a Rem 700 Police DM Light Tactical right now...)

Winchesters need less modifications out of the box a trigger job is about all you need really. This is basically true for every factory rifle. I like the claw, it's more tolerant to dirt or ice. The action design has been vastly improved over the pre'64 in terms of gas handling and has anti binding bolt throw. The barrel is hammer forged. You can get a David Miller designed wood stock or a McMillan (I believe) designed syn stock.

Do you plan extensive gunsmith modifications?
If yes, start with a Remington, throw away the trigger get a Basix, throw away the barrel get a Scheinder, and throw away the stock get a McMillan, get the Sako extractor and a extra length recoil lug while your at it...top that baby off with a U.S. Optics SN-2 3.8-16x58mm scope and you're good to go.

If no modifications, get a Winchester. Take it out of the box run a patch down the barrel and shoot it.

Well, maybe I've exaggerated a little to make a point. Any rifle can be made to shoot better than the average shooter IMHO. It depends on how much money you wnat to sink into the project. Winchesters don't get alot of hype because the gunsmithing industry can't think up enough "must have" modifictions to the design to make money off of it...

Bottom line however, is get the gun that feels right to you. Shoulder the things, shoot a few imaginary charging raptors, work the bolt, borrow your buddy's rifle (hey what are friends for?)return it dirty with the scope settings all changed...

I guess I should put my two cents in.
I vote for the Rem 700. Even though it doesn't have the "classic" mauser extractor I've never had a problem extracting cases for over 20 years under a variety of shooting conditions or with factory ammo/reloads. It is a strong, reliable action.

I own a Winchester Model 70 in .270. It is the new "pre-64 type" action. I'm not sure if the average shooter really gains a lot from the contrlolled round feed, but I like it. I had one with the push feed bolt and the controlled round feed action is a LOT smoother. So far with handloads I can average groups well under an inch. I would buy another Winchester in a heartbeat. I have never liked the looks or the action of the Savage, but I have to admit they are getting tempting. I shot a friends package Savage 110 (comes with rings, mounts, Bushnell scope, sling) that grouped under an inch with the first and only loads (factory) I shot through it. If money is at issue I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I think all of the major manufacturers make good rifles that are capable of very good accuracy with some load experimentation. Buy what you like, you'll be happy with it. Shake

Back