Savage Weather Warrior vs Savage Long Range Hunter

I am purchasing a new rifle in .308. I was leaning toward the Weather Warrior but am intrigued by the Long Range Hunter model for a couple of reasons.

1. It has an adjustable cheek rest.
2. It has a 2 inch longer barrel.
3. It has a brake built in.

The potential drawbacks are that it weights more than 1.5 pounds more.

I know application is important so here's my uses. I will be hunting from both stands and stalking. I hunt primarily in western states so longer shots are typical.

I will NOT be attempting to shoot at distances greater than 450 yards since I am not skilled enough to hunt humanely at those distances unless from a fixed position, but a 300 yard shot would be relatively common.

Does anyone have experience with the Savage Long Range Hunter? Any thoughts on whether the features I listed are worth the extra money and weight?

Longer barrel will give you a bit more velocity, and the muzzle brake will reduce the recoil, which will both help with long range accuracy, but the extra 1.5 lbs can make a difference when stalking. If you are not going to be shooting longer than the 450 yards you stated, I don't think the longer barrel and muzzle brake will make enough difference to make up for the extra weight. On those grounds, as well as the price difference, I would go with the Weather Warrior.

I know you mention hunting with some buddies from Wy/Co and those guy's might help you out as to what type rifle work best.

I get in little timber here Co as I want to get above timberline to hunt but I'm not in the real thick stuff so long barrel doesn't bother me and I try keep the weight scope/rifle/sling 9 lb plus minus 1/2lb.

Here is something from DOW on tags

Colorado is a national leader in big-game hunting opportunity. This year, Colorado will issue more than 240,000 limited licenses for the state's 'big three' species – elk, deer and pronghorn. Wildlife managers and biologists around the state recommended the issuance of 139,461 limited elk licenses, 79,800 limited deer licenses and 23,862 pronghorn licenses for the 2012 fall seasons.

Statewide, mule deer licenses declined 5.8 percent from 2011.

"Mule deer populations are being intensively monitored and we've seen some declines, especially in the western part of the state," explained Andy Holland, Statewide Big Game Manager. "Between severe winters, increased development, habitat decline, and migration corridor fragmentation, most western states are seeing declines in mule deer populations. We adjusted license numbers accordingly."

In addition to issuing nearly 140,000 limited elk licenses, Colorado plans to issue an unlimited number of over-the-counter bull elk licenses in the archery, 2nd rifle and 3rd rifle seasons. The number of unlimited licenses available makes Colorado the top destination in the U.S. for elk hunting opportunity. The 2.2 percent decline in the number of limited elk tags offered this year is mostly related to elk populations reaching management objectives after several years of intentional efforts by Colorado Parks and Wildlife to reduce elk damage on private lands. Despite the elk license number reduction, Colorado remains the destination state for elk hunters, offering more elk licenses by far than any other state.

Black bear hunting license numbers will be increased in the state after biologists determined that the statewide population is larger than previously believed. New estimates show that approximately 16,000 to 18,000 black bears live in the state.

My daughter loves her Weather Warrior, its a .270 win, and she shoots it pretty well with factory ammo thus far. I like that Long Range rifle also, it's heavier but maybe fine for long range hunting.

Back