Savage vs ruger

b-dog

Inactive
Been wanting a new deer rifle in 6.5cm. Looking at either the ruger American predator or savage 10t or fcp. I looked at a camo savage tonight with a fluted barrel but the whole stock and barrel were not mated right. Looked kinda crooked. Anyone else shoot any of these? Thanks

I've shot the American in 243 and 308, accurate and lightweight,even the 308 was easy on the shoulder. Haven't shot any new Savages but their reputation for accuracy is well known. Had a 110 in 270 Win twenty years ago that was very accurate: 5 shots covered by a silver half dollar @ 100 yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I shoot a few Savage rifles and I do have one Ruger American, accuracy has been great out of them. I don't see any issues with accuracy with either one, plenty good enough to take deer. You just have to decide which rifle has the qualities youre looking for in your deer rifle.

The first issue with both rifles is the stock usually, but both models of Savage rifles you looked at should have the Accustock. The Accustock is a much better stock than the Ruger American offers currently. There are Boyd's stocks for the Ruger's that will give you a much more rigid stock, but they add weight.

Which bri gs the second iissue you need to decide if it matters to you or not is the weight of the rifles. IMO this is the biggest issue with the rifles you're looking at. Depending on what you choose for scope and scope mounts, you can easily keep the Ruger under 8 lbs and the Savage you looked at will probably end up just north of 10 lbs. I know the style of hunting I normally do there is no way I'd use a 10 lbs rifle.

In this case even with the flexible stock of the Ruger, it's what I'd choose because you said it would be a deer rifle. I'll always choose the lighter rifle when it comes to hunting as long as it is accurate enough. While its stock is flexible, I'm more than capable of shooting a MOA group at 300 yards with my rifle from off a bipod in the prone position.

Savages are very accurate right out of the box. But don't like the Accu stock. I replaced my 10T Accu stock with a metal stock from MDT. Don't care for the plastic or fiberglass stocks on any of these rifles for that matter. They usually have too much flex and I can't get a decent check weld.

In your case, if its a deer rifle then carry weight is the main factor.

You would be as well off with an Axis in 6.5 or the Ruger as the Savage.

From my viewpoint, most rifles come with Pencil barrels, lighter than the old solid ones.

I don't think Savage pencil is any better or worse than anyone else's.

The Savage Varmints Barrels are a lot better, much heavier, close to a bull target, more suited to fixed site shooting and not moving hunting.

I have a RAR 223 with the pencil barrel. I looked at the comparable savage rifle as well when I was looking. I shouldered both several times, and the RAR just felt more comfortable to me. That's what made my mind up between the two.

My RAR does not like factory ammo, could not get it to group anything I tried. First handload receipe I tried, got a cloverleaf/mickey mouse 3 shot grouping. I quit while I was ahead. This load still shoots very well, but not be able to reproduce the first grouping yet.

The stocks on both will fail to impress, but oddly they get the job done very well. Expect both to be very accurate in spite of the unimpressive stocks.

RC20 the Ruger Predator uses a heavier barrel, it's threaded 5/8-24 and measures .66" just behind the threads. It isn't what you call a pencil barrel.

Honestly I have a few rifles from each... I do enjoy the shorter 70 degree bolt throw on the Ruger rifles vs the 90 degree on the savage, and I'm really not a fan of the humongous bolt knobs that savage seems to love. That's very minor, nitpicky stuff, and am a very big fan of savages in general and are what I usually recommend.

Haven't been able to see a difference in accuracy as both make rifles that at the very least shoot 1 moa...

You can't really go wrong with either. Find a good deal on either and you'll be happy.

Savage vs Ruger or any other commercial hunting rifle maker is a Chevy vs Ford thing. They're all pretty much the same thing. Buy the one that speaks to you and is the least expensive.
Savage's site doesn't show either of those model as being available in 6.5 Creedmoor. Assuming that's the 6.5 you want.

Both have so so stocks but good triggers and accuracy. And either will serve you well. The Savage Accutrigger might be a little more adjustable but the American comes with a pretty well bedded stock for synthetic. The 6.5 CM is an excellent choice.

I have a Savage 10 in 260 Rem. It shoots lights out.

I've never had a Ruger rifle, but their pistols seemed well-made and were pretty accurate.

I just bought a Savage 10 fcp in 6.5. 24" incredibly accurate. 5 shots at 100 you can cover with a penny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Just got a Savage 10-BA Stealth in 6.5 Cm. It was down to this or the Ruger Precision. I absolutely love the Savage. Round count is low so far but this thing dialed in quickly and had no problem hitting the center Mark. Love the feel of it. No regrets at all with the Savage, I'd buy it again hands down.

The Ruger is softer shooting ... it has more cush in the butt stock, a muzzle break, and it is heavier. It also shoots amazingly well. Very smooth to shoot. You couldn't go wrong with either one, but both are aluminum frames, sounds like you're looking for a more conventional stock so take it for what it's worth.

Back