savage trigger

walker11

Inactive
Deer season is out around here and now i want to do some work to my Savage 111. Before the season started i noticed that i hate everything about the Accutrigger and decided to get rid of it asap. I do a lot of range shooting with this rifle, just because i like to see how far i can shoot, but it is also my primary hunting rifle for deer and bear. I have narrowed my search down to 2 options wanted to get some opinions on it. I have selected the SSS Evolution and Timney #638. Who all has shot these triggers? What did you like and what did you not like? And what trigger would you recomend?
Thanks,
Walker

If it was me I would polish out the accutrigger but just my 2 cents. Its definitely not a bench rest trigger, but its a fine hunting trigger.

there's another spring kit out there that makes it a kick ass trigger. i put a thin piece of wire behind to lock the bar back and i used it on my 22 for bench rest. don't give up on it, for about ten bucks you'll have a great trigger.

What is the problem with the accu-trigger . I just bought the FCP-K For some long range shooting from prone with bi pod . I always thought of prone with a bi-pod is being the same as bench shooting . The gun and shooter are both very stable and it's relatively easy to lock in on a target . What makes the accu-trigger not a good choice for this application ?

Lot's of folk like the Accu-trigger, this guy doesn't. Not the end of the world. Personally I think the accu-trigger is a downgrade from the original fully adjustable trigger and is only done to appease the lawyers. Hate em as much in principle as in function.

All the ones I have ever dealt with required bending the wire or filing on the flat wire to achieve any significant results.

The accu trigger is great, except for hunting. Its a solid trigger for a factory gun but with gloves on I hate the feel, When hunting I want to know exactly when its going to break and with the accu trigger and a glove I just dont have the feel

I installed a Rifle Basix in mine and am quite pleased with it. The instructions made it easy to install. I have installed both Rifle Basix and Timney triggers in Rem 700s and am pleased with both. I saw no difference.

Metal- I peronsally do not like 2 stage triggers. I like to have one consistant pull weight and I do not like a lot of slack. And thats all the accutrigger is, 2 different pull weights and a lot of slack. I know a lot of people who love the accutrigger and think I'm crazy for getting rid of it, but, as stated before, there is nothing about the trigger I like.

Some guy's like them,some don't.
I hunt with all of mine,and have no problem with them. I've got 3 standard Accu-trigger rifles,2 with the Target Accu-trigger,and 2 with the SSS Competition trigger.
I like all of them.

They took some getting use to when they first came out,but I prefer to have them now.The only problems that I've ever had was when I adjusted the triggers too lite,but that was my fault,and was fixed in a couple minutes with the little trigger adjustment tool.

OK what makes a good or bad trigger and is it not a personal thing ?

I would think the purpose matters most . If your running and gunning with your AR your not going to want a trigger with a 1-1/2lb trigger pull . The opposite when it comes to bench shooting you don't want a 8lb trigger on your bench gun . Sure you can use either or but it' may not the best application .

When it comes to the FCP-K I bought . I would like the trigger to be a safe trigger first and really for all my guns . No need having a gun that will fire if you look at it funny . The next thing would be reliable and consistent . I hear the accu-trigger can be a little finicky in the very cold .

That brings me to my next thought about using a two stage light trigger in the cold . I never considered using gloves and how that would effect the feel and the use of a trigger like the accu-trigger . I live in southern California it's never cold here .I'm sure I will go to some cold weather areas and shoot .I will want the rifle to preform well in all environments .

Back