Savage trigger identity

cptmclark

I have a new Savage 1100XP rifle that has a trigger I can't find any schematic or discussion of. It is a pre-accutragger model that doesn't have the straight wire spring on the side. It's also different in that the bolt realease bar wraps around the front and has a hole in the front giving access to a screw behind it. There is no screw in the trigger forward part opposite the sear engagement.

Savage tells me this one should have an accutrigger, but it obviously doesn't.

A clue is that it was sold as a "Hunter" model but not the "Trophy Hunter" available now. "Hunter" doesn't appear in the catalog. It was made in 2012, according to Savage.

Any help appreciated, particularly with schematic and suggestions for safely lowering the pull from its current 6 1/2 pounds. I have seen cautions to not stone the surafaces because of a hardened sintered surface that is thin, but I don't know if that applies to this unit.

Thanks,

Mike

Here they are

Attachments

• 000_photo1.jpg
    000_photo1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 001_photo2.jpg
    001_photo2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 002_photo3.jpg
    002_photo3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
What you have is a current no Accutrigger trigger. A short while back Savage stopped producing the wire spring model trigger and replaced it with the redesigned model you have now.

Thanks. Wonder why I can't find a schematic or instructions for this thing. I don't think I knew Savage still made a non accutrigger trigger.

I'll search further.

Now after searching I can't find any reference to this trigger. I see one a bit similar on the Axis but it doesn't have the hole in the front center of the bolt release bar to access a screw. Please send me a link or schematic if you know of one.

If anyone knows this trigger I'd appreciate some guidlines in reducing the pull a bit. I suspect that the shiny screw head accessible through the hole in the front of the wraparound bolt release bar is used, but don't really want to just experiment.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Might I suggest replacing it with a RifleBasix or Timney trigger. Drop in replacement and are well worth the cost. I have a RifleBasix in my hunting rifle and it is nice. If however you prefer to to keep the factory trigger you may be able to get it down to around 3lbs or so.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, a replacement trigger is a valid option.
The quesiton of course was for information about the current trigger. It seems nobody knows this trigger. When I called Savage I got a nice lady who said she didn't know but I should send her pictures. If they don't know their own trigger so why should I expect anyone else to.

Nothing on their website, and no web search has turned up anything on this trigger. Something is very odd here.

I will experiment with it, as if I ruin it I can always buy the replacement as everyone suggests. Could this be the only trigger of it's type ever installed on a new Savage cheapo rifle? I'm skeptical.

Thanks again for the suggestions to just replace it.

You can stone the sear face and look for a lighter spring. That should help a good bit. Have you checked at SavageShooters.com or YouTube for info?

I'll try the Savage Shooters forum. Also call Savage again and try to get a smithy. There is a screw recessed behind the hole in the front of the crossing bolt release lever that I can try, as well as the dressing of the surfaces. One forum opinion is that those surfaces on this surface are a "sintered" thin hard surface and one mustn't polish them because the hard metal is so thin. Never heard of such.
Probably I'll end with a replacement trigger, but I've never seen one that couldn't be improved a lot, expectially when it starts out over six pounds and rough. Ammo testing with a trigger like this is an exercise in nerve control :).

The sear is ok to stone, the trigger does indeed have a very thin hardened surface at least by all reports I've seen, but you can polish the trigger surface. I have worked an older savage trigger w/wire spring and got it down to 2.5lb. I'm sure you could accomplish the same on your trigger with a different spring although I have no idea where to find one.

Back