Savage Stevens model 720

I just bought a Savage Stevens model 720 at a gun show for $250. The serial# is 522XX. It is a 3 shot semi auto 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel and I would say around 80 to 90% blue left. Can anyone tell me how old it is and whether or not I got a good deal?

A friend of mine just bought a Stevens 720 for $150 out the door. FWIW. But if you are happy with it a year from now, then it's not too much.

The 720 was sold from the early 1970s until the late 1980s.

Savage 720

$250 is not a bad price. $150 is an excellent deal. Of course condition is everything. There's hardly a weekend that goes by that I'm not at a gun show or frequenting the online auction sites. If you want to know what people are getting for them go to Gunbroker or Auctionarms and look for yourself. A lot of people these days price their guns according to what people are asking for them, not what "the book" says. So when they get a gun and want to sell it at a show most folks these days go to gunbroker and see what other people are asking. It's the way of the market. Some guys are asking over $300 for the commercial variation. The military marked ones bring more. I got mine from a dealer at a show where it was priced at $200. I ended up trading a knife for it and a .22. If you like nostalgic shotguns then $250 for something that goes "bang" is nothing to lose sleep over. Parts are easy to find, except the butt stock. Make sure you have your friction rings set up properly before you shoot it or you run the risk of cracking the fore end piece. These are great old guns and a nice alternative to the higher priced A-5. Enjoy!

As for the specific age, good luck with that. There's a lot of speculation out there but Savage doesn't have records available to pinpoint production dates on these guns the way Remington or Browning did. As I said in my other post, they were made between 1930 and 1949. The magazine tube should hold four shells. If it does not then there is most likely a plug in the tube. Not unusual and easy to remove. Anyway, good luck and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Back